PDA

View Full Version : I should have known better

Adrian
02-10-2011, 10:34 PM
So, picked up my 75 gallon tank, got my substrate, live plants, Rena xp3, heater, and got everything set up, running, issues with the lighting, but the least of my concerns.

I bought one of those cheapo test kits for the water. You the type, dip and read? LOL, well today, yes, I have fish in the tank, I picked up my usual test kit, as I could afford it now, API Master test kit for fresh water. I did my tests. OMG!!!!

No ammonia, thank god.

Nitrites off the scale, doesn't get that deep of a purple, immediate 50 percent water change.

Just starting to get nitrates.

PH was a heck of a lot higher than I thought it would be with all the mopani driftwood I have. Just goes to show, skimp on quality products, expect disasters!

Thank god I was able to get out and do some shopping today.

Please please please people, don't rely on test strips when testing your water parameters.

smaug
02-10-2011, 10:57 PM
You could have 50% by water volume of mopani or any driftwood and not have a ph decrease of more then .3 to .5 down.

korith
02-11-2011, 05:26 AM
What is the pH of the regular water supply in your home? It might be high. I don't think your driftwood would affect the pH like that.

Fisharefriends27
02-11-2011, 11:37 AM
When I started soaking my driftwood I have a tap ph of 7.6 and when I soaked it it became 6.4. But then again I'm using ALOT of driftwood.

Good Luck!

Cliff
02-11-2011, 12:39 PM
I agree with Smaug, I don't think the drift would would have that big of a impact on your PH. I have a ton of it in my tank and the PH stay stable at 7.6 just as mu tap water is

As it sounds like your tank might still be cycling, I would guess that is cuasing your PH changes

This is the same reason why I have always stayed away from test trips. You really have to be careful with how you store them or you can get miss-leading test results

Lady Hobbs
02-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Me thinks so too. A still cycling tank has goofy pH readings. You'll also have higher pH after large water changes until the gasses are driven off. I had an entire tree trunk in my tank and even that didn't change the pH any.

mermaidwannabe
02-11-2011, 04:09 PM
That cinches it for me. I'm sticking with the liquid test kits if I want comparison readings. Was considering the Mardel test strips, but not now.

-- mermaidwannabe

Adrian
02-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Well somehow, I need to lower my ph. I expect that time will do that. I have all new substrate, and it will take awhile to mature. I am thinking of running peat moss in my filter to help lower my ph, or go with distilled water, as the tap water is extremely hard. Makes a great cup of coffee though ;)

male molly kid
02-17-2011, 11:17 PM
I like mollys! and guppys and swords and and and SHRIMP!:19:

Sandz
02-17-2011, 11:37 PM
I like mollys! and guppys and swords and and and SHRIMP!:19:

I am confused as to what this has to do with the topic? :spam: