PDA

View Full Version : sick betta question?

malkin71
02-09-2011, 02:31 AM
i am new to keeping fish i have a betta ..my girlfriend thoguht it would be a good pet for our young son...think we had him for a month in what i believe to be a half gallon tank..i change his water once a week..then i think he got over fed and his water got nasty quick like from sunday to wednesday i noticed it and he looked like he had some kind of greenish yellow philm heavily around his head and got spead out toward his back i havnt got a good picture yet...i have recently got a 1 gallon tank for free froma friend bought a heater used some water conditioner which i didnt know about before used an ick treatment and fungal treatment aquarium salt..he stays toward the top of the water alot and it looks maybe a little better having a hard time telling..

malkin71
02-09-2011, 03:26 AM
i uploaded a pic to the gallery but you cant see the philm

Brhino
02-09-2011, 04:38 AM
Your description matches the disease called Velvet. I don't have any personal experience in fighting it, but here's a thread from one of our experts about it:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=41178
scroll down to the second half of the second post for the section on Velvet.

The source of the problem is that you have underestimated the care requirements of a betta (or any fish for that matter). This happens frequently to people keeping fish for the first time, and unfortunately, disease and death are often the result. The betta needs a bigger environment, a heater (which you now have), and a filter that has been 'cycled'. For the time being, I recommend moving the betta into the 1 gallon tank and doing daily 50% water changes (make sure you use that water conditioner every time). If someone else can confirm the fish has velvet you can get a medication to treat that.

If you decide you'd like to learn about how to keep fish in a healthy environment, I recommend checking out the free aquarium ebook:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html
It describes how to properly care for aquarium fish in detail. I hope you can help your fish beat this disease, but ultimately if you don't improve its environment the next problem will be just around the corner.

malkin71
02-09-2011, 05:58 PM
alot of it is gone but i think its floating on the top of the water which i try to scoop out and the ends of his tail seem to have a little red and dull color but the stuff seems to be coming off him..

malkin71
02-10-2011, 12:40 AM
put him under my able surrounded him with boxes blocked off sunlight he was right next to a vent so the extra heat and no light hlped knock off the rest of wha ever kid of fungus /velvet hat it might have been i cleaned out his 1 gallon fullchange and rinse becaus eof the malachite green i had put in ...he now looks alot better and o nasty stuff this weekend whe i get paid plan on ettin him some airation and a 5 gal tank...

edit..his 1 gallon broke so...i had to go back to the 1/2 gallon but its just until friday whe i can get a bigger tank with my paycheck...ill probally put some pics up of him in his saller tank :( for now.. does anyone elses betta move rocks to make like a little bed they like to lay in...