PDA

View Full Version : help with plants and what to plant please!

flanker118
02-08-2011, 08:44 PM
can anyone advise on what plants i could put into my tank.
it seems everything I have ever put in apart from my java fern I still have (only original plant left) gets ruined by my mollies. I also have a red crab. would like to know good foreground and background plants which are least likely to get destroyed.

Rue
02-08-2011, 08:46 PM
I've had good luck with anubias...

flanker118
02-08-2011, 10:24 PM
thanks rue! anybody else have any other suggestions? just trying to get the best overall scope and see what front and background would be best and not eaten and what would plant well onto bogwood.

superbsite
02-09-2011, 05:47 AM
What Plants did your mollies ruin ?

flanker118
02-09-2011, 07:29 AM
well thats difficult to know really as I'm don't know many plants. very long very thin grass was one, a plant with big roundish green and purple leaves. a tall long stemmed bright green plant with large leaves at the top of the stem, thick but short grass which is pale green in middle but dark round edges and another broad leave plant this one all green. also a type of water weed like duckweed but with much thinner and bushier branches which also tried to drop runners.

Lady Hobbs
02-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Mollies eat algae. Could be that's what you see them nibbling on. Can't recommend any plants without knowing what you have for lights.

flanker118
02-09-2011, 03:48 PM
mollies definately eating the actual plants as there is hardly anything left of most of them.
however i do wonder why they ignore the java fern?
nothing special about the lighting standard tube yellow light? ill have a look at the tube for specs later and post.

SkipW
02-09-2011, 03:57 PM
My guess is that your plants are not getting the amount of light or nutrients that they require. Then the mollies knock them apart when they go to pick the algae off of them. Stick with low light plants, like your java fern, and you should be fine.

Trillianne
02-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Here's another thought... one of your plants (big rounded purple green leaves) could it be a type of cryptocoryne? They are fairly commonly sold at fish shops and even the big box stores.

Crypts are notorious for melting leaves when they are first planted in a tank, where the leaves will seem to just melt off and die. They do however recover from their "ugly stage"

As others have mentioned.. mollies eat algae and may have seemed to be picking at the leaves and causing the issue... but it could also just be the type of plant.

You may want to hop over to a site like plantedtank.net and see if you can identify what you bought.