PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions While I Wait For My 29 Gallon to Cycle?

Recluse
02-08-2011, 04:38 AM
Hi all,

Just started a fishless cycle in my new 29 gallon today. Was in a hurry to get everything set up before work and accidentally added too much ammonia, but did a water change when I got home to get it down to 3ppm. I suppose, if I'm going to make a mistake, that it's best to get it over with before I have any fish to hurt! Hope a few hours of high ammonia didn't kill the bb in the gravel that my LFS gave me. I will be very contrite if I have to go back for more.

In any case, I have plenty of time to think over what to do with the tank once it's cycled. I have a pretty clear idea of what fish I eventually want:

6 Panda Corys (or 3 Emerald Catfish?)
10 Diamond Tetras
1 Pearl Gourami
Red Cherry Shrimp

I suppose if I'd gone with Emerald Catfish instead of Panda Corys, I could have carried the precious stone theme to its natural conclusion, but the pandas are smaller and so cute! Figured 6 pandas would be happier and more entertaining to watch than 3 emeralds any way. Although it's tempting to go for a complete theme. Hmm.

Wouldn't mind having a school of small red/orange fish in there for an accent color, but hopefully the shrimp will accomplish that. I want to have a goodly amount of tetras, so that doesn't leave room for another type of small, schooling fish.

In any case, is there anything obviously wrong with this plan? Any suggestions on which order to add the fish in? I was thinking Corys, then RCS, then Tetras, and the Gourami last.

I'm also pondering plants. I want them, and the shrimp need them, but I don't know much about plants at all. I've heard that the shrimp favor Hornwort, but other than that I don't know what else to add, or how to arrange it. Any suggestions for a couple of appropriate, hardy plants that would provide a pleasing combination of colors and textures, as well as a good background to view light colored fish against?

Sorry I just wrote you a novel here, please let me know if you have any suggestions :wub:

superbsite
02-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Go to the Plant Section and check these stickies

Sticky: Light Requirements for plants
Sticky: Easiest plants for beginners
Sticky: Plant Suppliers
Sticky: The Balanced Planted Tank
Sticky: Caring for your live plants - Nutrition

Cheers

Lady Hobbs
02-08-2011, 10:58 AM
I think your shrimp will get eaten by the tetra's and for sure by the gourami's but the rest of the stock sounds good. That will also get rid of your need for plants.

Recluse
02-08-2011, 07:17 PM
superbsite, thanks for the links! I'm enjoying poking around that part of the forum, didn't even notice it there until you told me about it :shappy:

Lady Hobbs, thanks for the advice on the shrimp. I still want to plant the tank, and I definitely want some of those shrimp, but maybe I'll set up a little 5 gallon for them on my desk eventually, and if they breed and I feel adventurous I can try adding some to the larger tank.