PDA

View Full Version : Raised Pond Setup?

DrNic
02-08-2011, 03:16 AM
Has anyone ever tried setting up a raised koi pond? I spotted one in the background while watching a garden show and though that might a good idea for the pond I'm hoping to start in the spring.

With an ~2ft stone wall around the pond one of the major advantages of the raised pond is increased pond volume as well as a pleasing place to sit on the wall. The down side is the extra expense of the stones I guess.

Please post any comments/pics you may have about raised ponds vs ground level ponds.

KatzeSlaugen
02-08-2011, 03:18 AM
a raised pond will have much larger swings in temperature, definitely something to keep in mind

Aeonflame
02-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Those have been done and are quite common in many parts of the world. They make for interesting garden scaping options.

smaug
02-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Coach frasier had a really nice one he posted a few years ago. In our neck of the woods they can freeze the wholeway to the bottom during winters like this. If you are thinking of building a raised berm around a pond that is mostly under ground then it would be doable I got an extra foot out of mine by building up about half the diameter of the pond that way.