PDA

View Full Version : Which pleco should I get?

Kik
02-07-2011, 09:53 AM
There are so many! which one would you advise for a 100 gal tank. I would like one that grows quite large...
Thankyou.

CassieLEO
02-07-2011, 10:18 AM
I loove Sunshine Plecos myself. They grow to be about 1 foot long. Plecos are huge poopers though and make a mess if you dont keep it in check. You sure you want one?

Cliff
02-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Have you considered getting a few smaller plecos ?

In a tank that size with good filtration, you could get 2 maybe 3 different smaller plecos like: a BN pleco, and rubber lip pleco, and a gold stripped pleco. All of them are around 4 to 5" fully grown

As Cassies has already stated, either one big pleco or two smaller ones, you will need to stay on top of you maintenacne with these fish

Fisharefriends27
02-07-2011, 11:52 AM
I've been reading everywhere BN plecos get 6" don't get a common

flydustydawg
02-07-2011, 12:11 PM
There are a lot of choices. Its really all about what you want. You just have to make sure the kind you get will not get to large, and as said before that you are willing to clean up after them. I swear for every ounce of food a pleco eats, it will poop out two ounces lol. BN come in many different colorations. If you are looking for a specific color there is a good chance a BN will come in it. Do you want a pleco to help with algae clean up? Some are a lot better than others at eating algae. Also some plecos need wood in their diet, so you would have to have drift wood.

skullduggery1
02-07-2011, 02:36 PM
There are ones that max out around 6 inches,Sultan pleco,snowballs,peppermints,some species of bristlenoses.Then there are a few 8 to 10 inchers;Mango's,gold nuggets,and even larger ones like royals,sailfins,scarlets(pseudacanthicus)Adonis,Ga laxy pleco's,Remember some ,not all pleco's need driftwood to rasp on,and others do not eat much greenfoods,but rather meat diets.(Of course there are tons and tons of small pleco's.)

Cliff
02-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Sorry, I forgot to include links to the plecos I was talking about in my orginal post. These links contain some info on these plecos which might help you decide on what to stock

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/ancistrusdolichopterus.php

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/clownpleco.php

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/bulldogpleco.php

Gisela
02-07-2011, 04:46 PM
You also need to consider that some plecos are more shy or only get out nighttimes. I have a starry night pleco. I see him maybe 2-3 times the week. I also have rubber lip plecos and they are out a lot. I have two in my 55 gallon and one in my 29 gallon. I do have my common pleco Nemo in my 125 gallon with two 405 Fluval Canisters and everyday partial waterchanges and vaccum out his poop it is managable. But I am fulltime home and can take care of it. I don't know, if you have the time.

jaysee
02-07-2011, 05:21 PM
I wouldn't get a big pleco - 100 gallons is big but it's not THAT big.

Keeping multiple species of plecos together can be problematic since they are territorial. While you may not see anything, if there are battles they are occuring at night when the lights are off.

I have a BN and a rubberlip together in a 90. They are both the same size (almost 4 inches) and have claimed terrirories on each side of the tank. I'm up late and have spent many nights watching the tank under the moonlights and have not seen anything. However, I wouldn't dare add a 3rd pleco, regardless of whether it's another BN/RL or a new species.

Ticklemekevin10
02-07-2011, 06:49 PM
is bushy nose pleco the same as bristlenose or is it a different kind? i never see "bristlenose" around here but "bushynose" are everywhere

jaysee
02-08-2011, 01:04 AM
same thing :)

Ticklemekevin10
02-08-2011, 10:32 PM
ah hah! good to know. i feel like a dummy but i was starting to think they didnt exist around here haha