PDA

View Full Version : i need help in feeding alligator gar other food besides fish

weylin remedios
07-06-2007, 03:11 PM
i need help getting my gars onto non living food...
im currently feeding the guppys...
i want to feed them pellits or dried worms...
it is urgent i dont know wat to do...

Lady Hobbs
07-06-2007, 03:43 PM
Since it's against the law to have them, why do you need to know?

gm72
07-07-2007, 01:08 AM
Bad post. We won't help you break the law here. Good call, Lady.

Fishguy2727
07-07-2007, 02:24 AM
Where are they illegal?

YaYgoldFish
07-07-2007, 02:42 AM
Bad post. We won't help you break the law here. Good call, Lady.

I dont think we should be ignorign him just because he has a gar that is illegal. Maybe its legal where he lives...and i bet it can't be as bad as a pacu. Unless he ditches it into a lake or river, but if he got a fish like that he probably is a bit too smart for that.

And for the question:

I doubt you could get a carnivore fish to eat anything that isnt alive.

Drumachine09
07-07-2007, 02:53 AM
You are aware that alligator gar can get up to 12 feet long, and over 300+ lbs, correct? I am quite sure you do not have a tank that large. Why did you buy him, if you cant take care of him? And dont say "ill release him when he gets bigger", because we will ALL inform you of how stupid of an idea that is.

Alligator gar are not illegal to keep in kansas. Infact, one of my favorite LFS has one in one of their huge pond sized aquariums. Still, its a very bad idea to own one.

YaYgoldFish
07-07-2007, 02:57 AM
yeah but the place he got him from most probably told him nothing except: it may eat fish.

Drumachine09
07-07-2007, 02:59 AM
yeah but the place he got him from most probably told him nothing except: it may eat fish.

Well, its his fault if he didnt do any reaserch. With the name "gar", expecially with the prefix "alligator", you know the thing is going to be a giant.

YaYgoldFish
07-07-2007, 03:01 AM
Yeah but maybe he just beleived what the pet stores told him. One of the place i buy fish stuff from even tell me the internet is a bad place to search for information:c11: it can be that bad..

Drumachine09
07-07-2007, 03:12 AM
Yeah but maybe he just beleived what the pet stores told him. One of the place i buy fish stuff from even tell me the internet is a bad place to search for information:c11: it can be that bad..

Yea, they just want money. Good thing i know a LFS whose owner loves fish. He has at least one tank in every room (including bathrooms, and the kitchen), and an entire room dedicated to fish.

Just for those who dont know, THIS is an alligator gar:

http://www.thejump.net/fishing/2-fish-5/large-alligator-gar.jpg

This image is property of:
http://www.thejump.net/fishing/2-fish-5/fish-3.htm

The biggest one ive ever rod-and-reeled was 4 foot, and the biggest one i got bowfishing was 6 and a half feet, weighing in at about 225 lbs.

So yes, they get HUGE. The small cleaned fish you see hanging on the right was probobly not a year old, where as the big one was about 6-8 years.

troy
07-07-2007, 03:32 AM
There was fish store I went they cared about their fish and didn't give bad advice, but went out of business. If that guy plans on raising it to maturity, he better not have kids, because the gar could have a meal of something that is unreplacable. I'm not kidding.

Drumachine09
07-07-2007, 03:35 AM
There was fish store I went they cared about their fish and didn't give bad advice, but went out of business. If that guy plans on raising it to maturity, he better not have kids, because the gar could have a meal of something that is unreplacable. I'm not kidding.

Ever heard of noodling? Its commonly known as "handfishing", but noodling is more fun to say. Basically, its where you wade in a river/lake/pond/or otherwise, and stick your hand into random holes in the bank. You are looking for catfish. When it bites your hand, and it WILL bit you, you punch through, and grab its gills, and pull it out of the water. People have lost limbs from alligator gar attacks. Good thing Ive been lucky enough to avoid such occasions.

RobbieG
07-07-2007, 03:42 AM
They are legal where I live too - I am pretty much at a loss as to why that would be - pretty much everything but snakeheads are

Drumachine09
07-07-2007, 03:45 AM
They are legal where I live too - I am pretty much at a loss as to why that would be - pretty much everything but snakeheads are

Lol, dont even get me ranting about snakeheads. Possibly one of the most detrimental invasive species ever.

If i could provide enough space for a gator gar, (ie, no less then 15,000 gallons) i would do it in a heart beat. But unitll then, i will but them at the bottom of my "fish to get" wish. Along with a sailfish, the hump backed whale, and a dolphin....lol

troy
07-07-2007, 04:53 AM
Noodling is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of. "Look Look, I caught an
alligator."

Drumachine09
07-07-2007, 04:56 AM
Noodling is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of. "Look Look, I caught an
alligator."

Now if thats not floccinaucinihilipilication, i dont know what is.

Dont knock it till you tried it. How would you like it if someone just said "keeping fish is soooooo stupid. Why would anyone ever put fish in a glass box", without ever knowing how enjoyable fish keeping is? :ezpi_wink1:

RobbieG
07-07-2007, 05:17 AM
I've never tried noodling - but it has to beat the crap out of icefishing!

Drumachine09
07-07-2007, 05:19 AM
I've never tried noodling - but it has to beat the crap out of icefishing!

Its pretty intense. It was only legal in oklahoma, but in the last two years, a few other states (including my home state of kansas) is allowing an experimental handfishing season. So, i had to shell out the 27.15 for a noodling stamp for my licence.

troy
07-07-2007, 05:50 AM
It's just too dangerous and that's why noodling is illegal in some states.

Drumachine09
07-07-2007, 06:05 AM
It's just too dangerous and that's why noodling is illegal in some states.

Unless you take the proper precautions, IE, Having a spotter, Knowing where it is safe, and carrying a dive knife.

Fishguy2727
07-07-2007, 12:50 PM
I sold a couple alligator gar to two different people a few years ago. Within a few weeks both came back saying they were taking pellets. There are many carnivorous fish and very few are stubborn enough to take nothing but live.

troy
07-07-2007, 06:09 PM
That's cool they were taking pellets.

mario543k20
09-30-2007, 02:11 AM
woww i actually just purcashed an alligator gar yesterday at my local fish shop for $30!! I didn't know they were so controversial!!

YaYgoldFish
09-30-2007, 03:01 PM
@Mario:
Just for the heck of it..What Filter do you have and how big is your tank?

mario543k20
10-02-2007, 01:55 AM
@Mario:
Just for the heck of it..What Filter do you have and how big is your tank?

GRRRR my alligator gar died yesterday!! after only 1 day!! i think one of my figure 8 puffers attacked him, because I saw him chasing him earlier!! i have a 45 gallon bow front tank, but im upgrading to a 125 gallon tank this week. I'm running a penplax 300 filter and a 70 gal aqua clear filter, but for the 125 gallon tank im gonna switch to a whole new setup, i just dont know what yet....