PDA

View Full Version : Will my fish get killed?

Rocky06fx4
07-06-2007, 03:02 PM
If I buy a shrimp?
If so, should I only get one or can I get 2 or 3?

TowBoater
07-06-2007, 03:03 PM
What kind of shrimp? I have bamboo shrimp in two of my tanks.

Rocky06fx4
07-06-2007, 03:06 PM
I have no preference more concerned about the shrimp eating/tortureing my tank buddies.

Never had a shrimp before and i'm curious how this will turn out.

Rue
07-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Shrimp are primarily scavengers and detritivores...at least any FW species commonly sold...I have one remaining bamboo shrimp as well...

I wouldn't worry about shrimp...

Crayfish...well, that's another story...avoid those...

Rocky06fx4
07-06-2007, 03:12 PM
Shrimp are primarily scavengers and detritivores...at least any FW species commonly sold...I have one remaining bamboo shrimp as well...

I wouldn't worry about shrimp...

Crayfish...well, that's another story...avoid those...

You rock! :thumb:

RobbieG
07-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Rue is absolutely right about the crayfish - they are able to kill and eat much larger fish than you'd think looking at them!

Make sure the LFS you use knows the difference - I've seen crayfish sold as "rock shrimp" & "blue shrimp" at a few different places.

Real shrimp seem to be hard to get around here and cost about twice what they did last summer so I guess they're (the stores) trying to save a few bucks.

TowBoater
07-06-2007, 03:34 PM
My bamboo shrimp were 6$ each. They are larger so my other fish don't eat them. Don't get cherry red shrimp, they are just expensive fish food.

troy
07-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Ghost shrimp can kill young live-bearers. The best bet would be bamboo shrimp because they are filter feeders. I don't know about the other shrimp because I've never read about them.

j0hnh0lmes
07-06-2007, 04:26 PM
Ghost shrimp can kill young live-bearers. The best bet would be bamboo shrimp because they are filter feeders. I don't know about the other shrimp because I've never read about them.

Good to know as I'm getting some Edler's Live-bearers soon, and was thinking of getting some shrimp

troy
07-06-2007, 04:38 PM
My brother had a ghost shrimp when he added 2 feeder guppies and within a minutes or two one or both were killed by the shrimp.FWI feeder guppies and endlers livevbearers are almost the same thing.

Drumachine09
07-06-2007, 04:42 PM
My brother had a ghost shrimp when he added 2 feeder guppies and within a minutes or two one or both were killed by the shrimp.FWI feeder guppies and endlers livevbearers are almost the same thing.

Why do you say "almost the same thing"? They ARE the same thing.

troy
07-06-2007, 04:51 PM
Because some people think they are different and some people think they aren't.

Drumachine09
07-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Because some people think they are different and some people think they aren't.

Different common names. Thats it.

dev
07-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Why do you say "almost the same thing"? They ARE the same thing.

What?

They are NOT the same thing.

Endlers livebearer was scientifically described in 2005 as Poecilia wingei. This description is now widely accepted.

It was concluded that P. wingei is smaller and differs in coloration and behaviour from P. reticulata (Guppy).

http://www.fishbase.com/Summary/speciesSummary.php?ID=63223&genusname=Poecilia&speciesname=wingei

Make sure you do not cross-breed guppy and endlers and pass them on on as a pure breed. P. wingei is a potentially endangered species, efforts are being made to determine their population. It is expected that P. wingei will be red listed in the near future. It is important that the global community of aquarists show responsibility to sustain the purity of the species. You can no longer get these from the wild, and it is possible that they will never again be available from the wild.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poecilia_wingei

j0hnh0lmes
07-06-2007, 07:21 PM
I'll deff make sure to keep them pure if I do get any then. Endangered animals should always be dealt with with exteme care