PDA

View Full Version : Duckweed - problem getting it started

crb1701
02-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Hi Everyone,

I currently have a 40 Long aquarium with 18 minnows in it (mountain redbelly dace and rainbow shiners). For the last three years they have been doing well, and seem happy, but have not been breeding. Forum topics have alluded to I need natural vegetation in my tank for natural water filtration, which would encourage breeding. I don't want to start planting in the substrate, so I decided on floating plants, and duckweed looks like the best natural filter you can have. According to the forums, too, it should be very easy to grow.

The problem is my fish eat it! They love it. I'll put in a 2x2 inch square of duckweed in a styrofoam circle and by the next day it's gone. I'll put more in the circle and it's eaten within 24 hours.

I have two questions. One, how do I get a population of duckweed started when the aquarium inhabitants are pigs, and Two, can fish "overdose" on duckweed?

Thanks.

CassieLEO
02-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Most fish I know love duckweed, and a lot of Plant companies hate it because its very invasive and blocks the light to the plants that are planted in the substrate. If you dont have plants in the substrate then maybe think about setting up another tank to grow out the duckweed and add it as a treat for your fish. It is a very healthy food for them, and a lot of fish will pig out on it, which wont hurt them....

toddnbecka
02-06-2011, 08:54 PM
The solution is simple, add more duckweed than the fish can eat. I have it growing in several tanks, and can fill a plastic cup with it if I let it grow for another week or two w/out thinning any out. Hornwort or Najas would also be helpful, both as fast-growing floating plants to help with water quality and to keep the fish away from some of the duckweed.

ilroost
02-06-2011, 09:31 PM
get some waterspite,grows like crazy. not even my goldfish can eat more than grows