PDA

View Full Version : question about my plants...

Cassandra
02-06-2011, 06:25 PM
So when I bought my java ferns they were attached to pieces of driftwood. One of the pieces detached, and I found a new place for it. I had some lace java ferns in pots, and decided that since they needed to be attached to something, I would put one where the java fern used to be. When I went to do this I noticed that the java fern had been planted in a piece of that foam stuff that they put around the roots of plants and then it was shoved into a hole that was drilled into the wood. I took the foam out and it smelled like a sewer. I rinsed the wood with old tank water that I was changing out and stuck the lace java fern in. Now Im looking around at the other pieces of java fern and they are all stuck into the wood with the foam stuff. Should I go ahead and pull them all out and remove all the foam so that the roots are exposed to the water? Or should I leave them as they are? I am worried that I will disturb and possibly kill an already-established plant. Heres a picture just in case Im not explaining something correctly.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a48/sugarlily2/003-1.jpg

dragoonwoman
02-07-2011, 07:07 PM
I'd pull them out of the holes, get rid of the foam stuff and tie them back to the driftwood.

I'm surprised they are living like that. I thought the roots needed to be uncovered for the fern to survive.

CassieLEO
02-07-2011, 07:09 PM
+1 for Dragoon Woman, I did the same thing. I loved the plant, and the driftwood, just not the foam, so I ripped it out, it slides right out....

Cassandra
02-07-2011, 07:11 PM
yeah I did it with one of them already.

Im surprised they are living like this as well. Maybe once I take the foam out they'll grow a lot better. Just gotta wait for the baby to go down for a nap thumbs2: