PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Liquid Flourish

LethalResistanz
02-06-2011, 02:01 AM
I got a big bottle of Seachem Flourish comprehensive. I want to know if anyone has thought to freeze it in a ice cube tray then put it into the substrate.

I have pool filter sand so I don't think it would be able to just wash out of the sand.

Save a couple bucks and not have to buy the tabs.

KatzeSlaugen
02-06-2011, 02:21 AM
not sure if it would work, but as the fert cube melted the sand on top would push down, pushing the freshly thawed fert cube out from under the sand and into the water column

Lab_Rat
02-06-2011, 02:33 AM
Why not make your own root tabs with dry ferts?

LethalResistanz
02-06-2011, 02:42 AM
Why not make your own root tabs with dry ferts?

Do you have a link? Sounds interesting.

Xandict
02-06-2011, 04:44 PM
This is one way

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169591&highlight=DIY+root+tabs

Lady Hobbs
02-06-2011, 05:52 PM
I don't think ice would stay in the substrate but simply float up and end up in the water column anyway.

korith
02-07-2011, 11:20 PM
I like the idea of using dry ferts to make root tabs. Would probably be more cost effective as well than trying to use liquid flourish as well.

I've been using fertilizer tablets meant for ponds in my aquariums, I break them up into smaller chunks and then use them like regular fertilizer tablets. It does take a bit work to judge how much to use, had a huge phosphate spike early on, but figured out the right dose of it finally. Was able to get a few large bags of them on clearance for a dollar or two.

LethalResistanz
02-08-2011, 06:11 AM
I like the idea of using dry ferts to make root tabs. Would probably be more cost effective as well than trying to use liquid flourish as well.

I've been using fertilizer tablets meant for ponds in my aquariums, I break them up into smaller chunks and then use them like regular fertilizer tablets. It does take a bit work to judge how much to use, had a huge phosphate spike early on, but figured out the right dose of it finally. Was able to get a few large bags of them on clearance for a dollar or two.

That sound interesting. What brand are you using? Is this something you'd find at a LFS or like a hardware store? I think there is a pond store around me I'll probably check it out tomorrow.

korith
02-08-2011, 07:40 AM
That sound interesting. What brand are you using? Is this something you'd find at a LFS or like a hardware store? I think there is a pond store around me I'll probably check it out tomorrow.

Sorry not a clue on the brand, the original bag is long gone. Was a garden store that was clearing out all their pond related things.