PDA

View Full Version : Flowering Plants?

teddscau
02-06-2011, 01:56 AM
I'm going to be aquascaping a 10g for my betta. I'd like to plant some flowering plants. I want flowering plants that have really small flowers, not big ones. I don't want them to be bog plants either. I'm thinking of doing something like this, but on a smaller scale.

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/forum/announcements/1183-aquascape-month-september-2008-pinheiro-manso.html

KatzeSlaugen
02-06-2011, 02:22 AM
would be awesome if you had a tank like that. i dont personally know of any plants that are small and have small flowers though. the only plant ive ever had thats consistently flowers is my anubias.

DrNic
02-06-2011, 02:54 PM
That's a great design. I used the same photo as a template for a tank I put together for an aquascaping contest a while back. I would suggest using christmas moss for the tree. Standard java moss doesn't give the same look. Also wait until the tree is finished 'growing out' a little before you plant things under it. I had planted a bunch of small grasses under my tree but as the moss filled out the grass under it stopped getting as much light and died making a real mess. Wait until the tree fills out a bit then decide what to plant under it if anything. I ended up doing mostly just gravel under mine and let the grass run in over time.

As for flowering plants, anubias will flower underwater which can be pretty. Might make a nice plant for the edges of the setup. If given enough light and the right tempature broad leaf ludwig will also flower a pretty yellow flower, but it will only open up on the top of the water. Aside from that the only other plants I know of that flower are lily/lotus and apons which send up white flowers to the surface every month or so once they are established. I don't know of any other plants that produce underwater flowers.

teddscau
02-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the help guys! DrNic, what type of "grass" did you use? I'm not really experienced with plants. My stupid hornwort I bought last week lost all it's leaves, even though the little stem thingy is still green and healthy. I have been successful with one plant though. No idea what it's name is.

As for my tank, I'm planning on making it look kind of like a Japanese garden or something. I'm going to have my betta in it along with a couple of African dwarf frogs (not clawed!), and maybe a few pretty shrimps.

I'm not that good at keeping my fish alive. I'm doing my best though. I'm good at keeping shrimp though. I ordered some NLS and RootMedic online and I should have them by next week. Hopefully the food and the ferts will help keep my fish healthy. I need to get rid of a bunch of mollies. If I do all that, my fish should stay nice and healthy. Still haven't finished stocking my 90g or 29g.

DrNic, could you perhaps PM me some pictures of the tank you aquascaped? I'd like to get an idea of how I could set up the tank.

DrNic
02-06-2011, 08:49 PM
I used dwarf sag as my grass. It's a little longer than some other grass type plants but i've had decent luck with it in my tanks. There are a few different plants you could use depending on what you want it to look like.

I'll have to dig around to see if I still have the photos. I went through an upgrade on my machine a while ago and deleted a lot of my older fish photos. If I can find something I'll PM you.

teddscau
02-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Kay, thanks!