PDA

View Full Version : Not very cherry shrimp

Lady Hobbs
02-05-2011, 04:00 PM
My shrimp are boring. They couldn't be less cherry looking if they wanted to be. I probably have 30-40 and only see 2 that are brightly colored. Rest are zip in color. I've ordered some food especially for shrimp so we'll see what happens and if they color up any.

gm72
02-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Sounds like you have mostly males. Odd. I wonder if the water conditions encourage development of one sex over the other? I don't mean you have anything wrong with the tank. I know there are certain fish that male/female development is affected by water parameters, particularly pH.

Brhino
02-05-2011, 04:06 PM
they also get duller when they don't feel safe. The ones that I put in my betta tank (intended as food, but they're too fast for him) have gone almost transparent. Are they afraid of your other fish?

CassieLEO
02-05-2011, 04:08 PM
I read somewhere that Cherry Shrimp get their best color according to their surroundings and a beta carotene rich diet. Ive never had them, I just remember reading it somewhere...

Rue
02-05-2011, 04:19 PM
I think you're right about the carotenes...hopefully the new food will dress 'em up!

gm72
02-05-2011, 04:23 PM
I have yet to feed my shrimp tank. They just eat the algae that I purposely allow to grow there and are proliferating very well.

Gisela
02-05-2011, 04:39 PM
I have my Cherry Shrimp along with one Amano Shrimp in my 6 gallon Fluval Edge with my Betta Alabaster. Maybe 3-4 are bright red, the smaller ones are more orange and then some brown ones (guess that are the males). They eat algae and I drop every other day an half algae tab in, they also like whatever the Betta doesn't eat.

Lady Hobbs
02-05-2011, 05:23 PM
The only other fish in the tank are my neons. They get a flake food each day so the shrimp get a bit of that as well as all the algae and shrimp pellets. I thought perhaps shrimp and neons might like the shrimp flakes so those are on order. Compared to the female/male ratio, perhaps gm is correct but I also wonder if the neons don't spot the females more so those are getting eaten. I used to have a lot of bright ones and now they are getting fewer and fewer.

CassieLEO
02-05-2011, 05:26 PM
I bet you are totally right. They would stick out like a sore thumb wouldnt they!

Lady Hobbs
02-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Can fish see colors? LOL Don't know but they certainly seem to spot their mates clear across the tank so I have no idea.

Red
02-05-2011, 05:31 PM
I wouldnt worry to much if there having babies. Cherry shrimp get a more darker red when they get a bit older. Until they stop breeding i wouldnt worry.

Gisela
02-05-2011, 05:52 PM
That is an interesting question, like a bull doesn't go for red but movement.

SunSchein89
02-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I've heard that they won't color up for awhile also. I have a bunch of babies running around my tank now and most of them are still pretty dull/clear.

Trillianne
02-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Apparently the internet says (multiple sources found) that fish see in color. The type of fish and their natural environs does change their ability to see colors... with fish that are in clear waters seeing colors even into the ultra violet ranges (non-visible to humans) but bottom dwellers where its dark typically only seeing limited colors.

Thanks for the question to google Hobbs! :shappy:

AbbeyRanda
02-11-2011, 05:37 PM
would neons be big enough to eat your cherry shrimp? I have some young neons and a few mandarin shrimp... the mandarins are almost as big as the tetras!

Cascade
02-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Ooh, somehow I missed this thread earlier. I'm curious to see if you find that you are able to improve their color with food. My RCS are VERY bland in color, too, and I know I have females because I see the saddles and they do have babies, so... ?

I recall reading *somewhere* that the wild version has the ability to change color for camouflage, essentially to darken/lighten their pigment. The red variety obviously doesn't camouflage very well, but they still have the same instinct to lighten or darken (in their case, redden) based on their environment to blend in. I blamed my lack of color on a sand substrate... has anyone else seen a correlation between substrate color and degree of red coloration?

Lady Hobbs
02-11-2011, 06:10 PM
I have no idea. I've read that new shrimp should be added periodically to prevent generic breeding to retain the red in them. Also read they are not found in the wild and another place they are, but not the red color. In other words, I don't know.

LOL

~Col~
02-11-2011, 11:22 PM
I have RCS in with neons in my sons tank, feed them similar foods to you and seem to have the opposite problem. All of mine have turned bright red and I think there is only one male in there. LOL!!

Abbey - The neons aren't really big enough to eat the RCS but they can nip them and kill them. Once injured they'll just keep nipping at them.

Wild Turkey
02-12-2011, 12:28 AM
In nature they are brown, Not very exciting.

You dont have to add more shrimps, removing the ones that are least colorful is just as good imo.

korith
02-12-2011, 02:32 AM
With my shrimp tanks one thing I've noticed is whenever the tanks are not at the ideal temps and cooler they shrimp don't show off their colors as well. Also the tank environment can affect the colors as well. My shrimp seem to show off their colors a bit better with a dark background and substrate.

Shrimp aren't showing the right colors I'm looking for get removed from the tank. It will probably take several generations to get rid of the traits, but you should see better colors with each generation. Usually I do all the shrimp tanks at once, putting all the culled shrimp into a container, then grab a seat in front of my cichlid tank and dump them into the tank! Then watch the feeding frenzy!

Lady Hobbs
02-12-2011, 05:38 PM
I never have extra's to feed to other fish. Apparently my neons are eating every baby they see. They used to be all over the place but now all I see are shrimp all the same size altho I see saddle backs all the time. I know they are breeding like crazy but never any babies to be found.

AbbeyRanda
02-12-2011, 06:04 PM
Thanks Col! I was curious about that, a little fearful for my swimps!