PDA

View Full Version : betta vs algae wafers

Wallyfish
07-06-2007, 09:04 AM
I have been trying to feed my panda corys algae wafers in my tank. Unfortunately my betta gets to them first and tears them apart. While this is not a problem for the panda corys because they do get the leftovers, I'm worried that my betta's stomach will explode from all that eating. Is this a cause for concern? Here is a picture of the culprit commiting the crime!
You'll notice my corys cowering in fear in the corner waiting for the leftovers.

genitor
07-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Your betta will be okay. I've had many fishes gorge themselves on algae wafers and they have all been okay.

SkarloeysMom
07-06-2007, 02:01 PM
I'm not sure its a good idea that a betta overeat. He could get plugged up.

I've had a similar problem getting wafers to my bottom feeders. I feed my other fish their flake food and while their busy I drop in a wafer broken in half or thirds. Most times the other fish don't notice the smaller pieces until the pandas have had a chance to eat some. Or if you have a hiding place for the pandas you can use your gravel vac tube to aim a piece of wafer into their hiding place.

Other types of fish seem to be able to tolerate overeating better than bettas. I have an oto that sucked on a piece of wafer all day and turned out looking like a blimp. Then he just sat around for a day or two before getting back to work cleaning the tank. I also had a female guppy that ate until she looked like she would pop then later just poop about a mile long poop. My four year old just loved that!!

Rue
07-06-2007, 02:07 PM
...my bettas pig out on the algae wafers too...they fight the snails for them...:laugh1blue:

So far...no one has exploded...

But I do find it odd that a carnivore would be that interested in algae wafers...

...unless they should be classed as omnivores...

Betta_noob
07-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Your best bet is to be feeding them at night right before you turn off the light, when your betta will most likely be asleep.

troy
07-06-2007, 04:33 PM
I agree with Betta noob.

genitor
07-07-2007, 12:59 AM
For some reason my corys dont eat algae wafers.

troy
07-07-2007, 01:17 AM
Mine eats algae off my fake plant and eats dead parts of my live plants.