PDA

View Full Version : Adding shrimp?

poloman579
02-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Im thinking of adding a few bamboo shrimp but im not sure how much ammonia and nitrates and all that they will produce. In short if i have a planted aquarium could i fit them in with 5 neon tetras, 1 dwarf honey gourami, 2 kuhli loaches and 10 ghost shrimp. Its a 10gal tank.

korith
02-04-2011, 11:49 PM
Shrimp have very little bioload. Go ahead and add them. Only thing I would be concerned about is that they are heavy filter feeders. I think if you see them foraging off of the substrate it's a good sign they aren't getting the nourishment they need from the water column.

poloman579
02-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Ok thanks i have a stem set up for them to feed and ill do some more resurch before i go out and get them. But do you know what kind of food should i get them for like filter feeders.

Rue
02-05-2011, 06:34 PM
I agree with korith...they add very little ammonia to your tank...

poloman579
02-05-2011, 07:10 PM
ok great, thanks guys

Stlouisfish
02-13-2011, 02:17 AM
Shrimp have very little bioload. Go ahead and add them. Only thing I would be concerned about is that they are heavy filter feeders. I think if you see them foraging off of the substrate it's a good sign they aren't getting the nourishment they need from the water column.

What does it mean that shrimps are filter feeders? What is the "water column"? I'm just curious because I'm potentially interested in getting shrimps at some point and would like to understand these terms.

korith
02-13-2011, 04:51 AM
What does it mean that shrimps are filter feeders? What is the "water column"? I'm just curious because I'm potentially interested in getting shrimps at some point and would like to understand these terms.

Only some shrimp are filter feeders. Bamboo shrimp you will see very often in high current spots in the aquarium, they will just stay in place and grab whatever nutrients, microbes, food, etc that is in the water. That's why are called filter feeders. By water column I meant the water:p They will do better in more mature tanks as well.