PDA

View Full Version : new tank new fishes (cichlids)

lpxaudio
07-06-2007, 07:19 AM
hi everyone, im new to the forums so please excuse me if im making any mistakes by posting in the wrong section.

I have decided to move up from my 5gal tank (male betta inside), to a larger tank with malawi cichlids. I have been reading about the water cycling, temp of the water, etc. and i am commited to doing all i can for the new fishes. So on to the questions,
what is a good amount of cichlids in a 30 gal tank?
will the tank sets at petco well suited for cichlids?
and since im a budget, what are some of the things i need to get more than anything else?
any other tips would be great! :sbiggrin:

thanks in advance!

Fishguy2727
07-06-2007, 12:53 PM
What type of Malawi cichlids are you wanting? Could you go with any bigger of a tank?

Those setups are not worth it. The tank and hood should be good, but all the other equipment you get is the lowest quality. So you usually end up replacing the heater, buying more filtration, and spending more than if you had bought everything separate.

With mbunas or peacocks you could have either one male and 3-4 females, or about 4-5 males. One of the most important things is filtration. If it is a 30, you need at least 60, if not 75 or more gallons worth of filtration. Other than that one of the most important things is water changes. Then it comes down to food and water parameters. Lake Malawi cichlids will need to be in a pH of 8.2 (so I use Proper pH 8.2), and they also need special lake salts. I use Seachem's Cichlid Lake Salt. Other than that it is diet. I only feed New Life Spectrum. This is hands down the best food out there and will help them reach their best potential.

lpxaudio
07-06-2007, 06:55 PM
thanks for the reply, i still havent decided on the exact fish, and for the tank wat would be a good size? and any websites that i can purchase these for a low price? and i will stay away from the kits at petco, i will look for another tropical fish store around,
Thanks again for all information!

Fishguy2727
07-06-2007, 09:50 PM
For tanks, the bigger the better. I would go with the biggest you can afford and deal with in your house.

For online fish supplies, you can check bigalsonline.com, thatpetplace.com, and drsfostersmith.com.

jessie
07-07-2007, 03:04 AM
I would suggest getting a used tank and hood if possible. It will save you alot of money, and if you live in the US, you can go to craigslist.com and do a search for your area. I picked up a 72 gallon bowfront which included a tank, hood, and stand for 250 bucks. I buy alot of my supplies at Petsmart, and if you can find the item on their web page (petsmart.com), you can print off the price and they will match it. I found this out after paying 175 bucks for a filter that the same store had an online price listed for 100 dollars....yes, I got ripped off with the filter, but you can learn from my mistakes.

jessie
07-07-2007, 03:07 AM
yes, cichlids are extremely dirty. I have enough filtration for about 225 gallons, and the tank still gets filthy if I do weekly water changes. Another pointer is looking around at local landscaping places to buy rocks really cheap in large quantities. Just make sure you know what is in the rock and how this will affect your water paremeters.

Fishguy2727
07-07-2007, 12:44 PM
I personally recommend against used tanks. You have no idea how many times it has been moved, re-setup, moved with water in it, banged, sat on unlevel floors or homemade stands, it is just too risky when you are talking about that much water. The cost of the water damage is MUCH more than the extra cost for a new tank.

jessie
07-07-2007, 06:06 PM
I've had 4 used tanks, saved alot of money, and never had a problem with it. You can always ask the seller to fill it with water and inspect everything to make sure nothing leaks, etc.., It's a matter of personal preference. You take the same risk buying a used car or any other used item.

dev
07-07-2007, 07:23 PM
I've had 4 used tanks, saved alot of money, and never had a problem with it. You can always ask the seller to fill it with water and inspect everything to make sure nothing leaks, etc.., It's a matter of personal preference. You take the same risk buying a used car or any other used item.

Even if it appears to be allrigth it could have developed a weakness that you would need an expert to identify.

I left the hobby for a few years after a fifteen year old 85 gallon tank literally exploded in my first floor living room in 2000. This was a metal frame tank from Akvastabil and had the original metal frame stand. It had always been set up perfectly levelled. The accident happened a few months after it had been moved, and the insurance company concluded that it had developed a weakness during transportation. The damage came to more than $30,000

If I was getting a used large tank for my living room, I would very much like to know the history of that tank. Though I probably wouldnt anyway. I'm still a bit sceptical to large tanks, and I probably won't get anything bigger than my 50 gallon until I have an aquarium room with a drain, which probably won't be until we get to build a new house - in three to five years.

Fishguy2727
07-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Think of the tank you could get with $30,000.

My 100 gallon was fine for years. My cousin and I broke it down, drove it to his house, and three days after he filled it with saltwater one of the seams in the corners split and it all went on the floor. Luckily (for my health) it was in the basement.