PDA

View Full Version : Any opinion on this substrate?

dragoonwoman
02-04-2011, 01:30 PM
I'm looking to set up a shrimp tank, and was wondering if anyone had used the Fluval shrimp substrate. Of course the manufacturer is going to tout it as the greatest thing ever, but I was hoping for some input from an actual USER of the stuff.

Does anyone think this is worth the extra expense? Right now, the tank has a sand-like plant substrate in it, planted but no livestock yet. It would be easy to switch it over at this point.

sailor
02-04-2011, 02:30 PM
That substrate is awsome for both shrimp and planted tanks
Alltho it does leave the tank cloudy for a few days

dragoonwoman
02-04-2011, 03:23 PM
:22:

I'm glad to hear it! I've tried keeping shrimp before, but they always died within a couple weeks. My well water is extremely soft, about 2 KH by my API test kit, so I've been adding Equilibrium at water change to help bring it up. This will be my first attempt at shrimp again since I've been using it.

I'm hopeful that this substrate will help condition my water to be better for the shrimp. Someone here suggested I drop (human consumption) calcium tabs in the tank, so I can do that too. They're oyster shell calcium, so that should be close to what they'd have naturally (or so I hope).

And YES - my tank was fully cycled before ANY stock went into it. I have some small sponges sitting in my other filters right now, so they will be well seeded by the time I get more shrimp.

korith
02-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Never tried that substrate. I have several types of shrimp and 9 shrimp tanks, some of the tanks are bare, sand, ecocomplete, gravel. Anything works. Having a dark substrate and background seems to help show the colors in some of the shrimp I've noticed.

Sasquatch
02-04-2011, 05:47 PM
We've got a Fluval Ebi going where I work and I have to say that I'm quite impressed by the substrate. We've got a crypt growing and flowering in the tank, dwarf hairgrass sending out runners and the shrimp are A1, they're even breeding in the tank.

If your water is really soft, try the Fluval kH buffer for shrimp, it could be worthwhile.