PDA

View Full Version : Rough Start

VTAeries
02-04-2011, 03:15 AM
Unfortunately for several fish, I didn't find this forum and all the great advice therein until today. I had previously been going by the rather poor advice of other sites and the pet-store employees.

We started our 16 gallon tank a couple weeks ago, and after letting it settle for a few days, were told we were good to go for fish, so we brought home five glofish. One died the first night when it got caught in the filter, but I got a replacement and got a spongy cover for the filter intake. A few days later, a couple more bit the dust, and I got replacements for those. At the same time, I took in a water sample and was told all my levels were ok. One replacement died within 24 hours, but the other seemed to be doing ok.

Then on Monday, I noticed several of the fish had red spots on their gills and were behaving oddly. I looked up the symptoms, finding them most likely caused by ammonia poisoning, I did a 25% water change right there, but two of our remaining four fish bit it within the hour. I did another water change the next day and got the water tested again, and was told I had a little ammonia, but not much, and not anything else.

Yesterday, the third original fish bit it. I took a water sample in again today, with the same report. I explained my situation and that the last remaining fish didn't seem to be all that lively. I was advised to get a couple zebra danios to try to continue the cycling.

After reading the cycling advice here, I don't think I should have accepted their advice. But I did, and so now I have two zebras and one half-alive glofish in my 16 gallon tank.

Assuming they all live, will the three little guys be enough to get the cycle going? Should I try giving them away to a good home (if I can find one, which I find doubtful) and just start over? Please help, I don't want to be the cause of more fishy deaths.

flydustydawg
02-04-2011, 03:30 AM
First and foremost never believe any one at that store ever again. Try to find a small locally owned store that actually knows a thing or two fish. You did the right thing coming here for advice.

Second a 16g tank is to small for gold fish. They are very dirty and grow pretty big. I would try to take the danios back and do a fishles cycle. Another option would be pre seeded media.

Do you have any friends in the hobby that you could get some filter media from. Also some times a LFS store will sell you pre seeded media from their tanks. You would have to ask though. You might have to by some media and ask if you can trade it for some of their seeded media

Brhino
02-04-2011, 03:37 AM
Second a 16g tank is to small for gold fish.

he doesn't have goldfish, he has glofish (GM zebra danios). Apart from that, I agree with everything you said. And, actually, a 16 gallon tank is pretty small for glofish/zebra danios anyhow. They don't get very big, but they are active fish that like to have room to move.

flydustydawg
02-04-2011, 03:49 AM
he doesn't have goldfish, he has glofish (GM zebra danios). Apart from that, I agree with everything you said. And, actually, a 16 gallon tank is pretty small for glofish/zebra danios anyhow. They don't get very big, but they are active fish that like to have room to move.

Lol and on that note I need to go to bed. haha thanks for pointing that out Brhino. Dyslexia kicking in once again with some assistance from lack of sleep. It even says glofish more than once too :hmm3grin2orange:

mommy1
02-04-2011, 05:00 AM
3 danios should be enough to cycle a 16g tank, but i agree with brhino that it is too small for them.
cycling with fish can be quite stressful on you and more importantly is very stressful on your fish. i recommend finding them a new home or returning them to the store and cycle your tank with out fish.
whether you choose fish in or fish-less please read these stickies so you know how to get your tank properly cycled.

fish-less
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=5640

with fish
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=36492

Lady Hobbs
02-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Danio's are noted to be a good cycling fish. But, you need to test the water at least every other day and do water changes to make sure the toxic levels do not get too high to sustain life. I notice you lost several right after a water change. Are you using a de-chlorinator? With tap water, that's a must have.

VTAeries
02-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Thanks, all. I definitely learned my lesson about trusting the pet shop people. I am using a dechlorinator, Prime, but the coinciding with fish death and water change has worried me that I might not be using enough. I recently got a syringe, so that should help with dosing the new water. I don't have a test kit yet (I ordered it yesterday after reading through the stickies). I do have an ammonia in-water tester, though I don't trust it much. Until I get the test kit I plan on regularly taking samples to the store to get them tested (which is free), but once again, I'm not sure how much I can trust them since they've told me it looks fairly normal every time and that I shouldn't be losing fish.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone with a tank, so I can't drop them off in a better home, or get some established media.

Thanks again for the advice.

Lady Hobbs
02-04-2011, 12:11 PM
Ask the store the next time you go there if they will give you a bit of used filter media. Some will, some won't. Personally I'd never ask a store for any media simply because of the constant turn over of fish and the worry of Ick. But some do. That's an option out there if you think their tanks are in good shape.

rich311k
02-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Get a good test kit, check your levels everyday and do a 50% change if ammonia and nitrite go above .5ppm. A few weeks and things will settle,

Fisharefriends27
02-04-2011, 12:31 PM
A test kit I recommend is th API master kit, the one with liquid. I don't remember how much it cost, but it was worth it.

Good Luck!