PDA

View Full Version : Those of you in the snowstorm

FishyPastor
02-04-2011, 01:35 AM
Hey I was if there was anyone on the forums were in the middle of that aweful snowstorm? How did you and your tanks handle it?

flydustydawg
02-04-2011, 01:57 AM
You had a snow storm in AZ??? We got a lot of snow in MI but not as much as they said. I think we got 11 or 12 inches. They said we were supposed to get like 18. We didnt have any power outages here in Kalamazoo so my fish are all fine. They are all in there warm little tanks and dont even know about the whole snow storm lol. Lucky them...

Fisharefriends27
02-04-2011, 02:01 AM
12 INCHES!!! Lucky! I got 2-3 FEET!

Kerry
02-04-2011, 03:43 AM
We lost power here in Southeastern CT for about twelve hours one night. I have freshwater and a saltwater tank. We gave it a few hours before I had to act. They had never given us notice of how long the power would be out and come to find out a car had hit a pole and blew the lines to crap so they had to replace the lines and three poles.
I am lucky to have a paranoid boyfriend who has every tool or gadget known to mankind, so I sent him to get lots of gas for his generator.
The neighbors wanted to hook up there fridge and we told them not a chance.. its keeping the tanks warm and running. Unhappy neighbors. Surviving fish.

Scrup
02-04-2011, 05:32 AM
No power losses here, just temps down to -29 and a light sprinkling of snow.

Haven't checked on the goldfish yet (dont get off till the sun goes down and I don't like messing with the pond in the dark when its below 0, I lose coordination and drop crap in the water, and when that happens, it is staying in the water until spring). I plan on checking tomorrow after work, will post tomorrow if anything happened.

flydustydawg
02-04-2011, 12:18 PM
12 INCHES!!! Lucky! I got 2-3 FEET!

Wow what part of the country are you in?

Fisharefriends27
02-04-2011, 12:44 PM
I'm in Connecticut(CT) But we got a lot of snow! The first time it was 20 inches! Then with all the other storms...

-/-)-(-)-(-)-(----^~^>~<^_\~|<_>_>[}]{\.|>\>]^]>|<]~]~\<|>_~_||>|>\<
^
snow. Me > :ssmile:

Hahaha I don't mind with snow, just too much of it is blah:hmm3grin2orange:

Good Luck!

3dees
02-04-2011, 02:08 PM
this is what I woke up to. 70 mph winds all night. houses accross the street lost thier power, but thankfully not our side. if thet was'nt enough, sub zero temps since. oh, how I hate winter.

Spardas
02-04-2011, 02:42 PM
I made the big switch over to acrylic so that it insulates heat better.

I have back up generators and insulation rolls just in case of power outage. I also have enough battery operated air pumps.

But the snowstorm this year haven't caused any power issues yet, so I'm in the green, :hmm3grin2orange: .

kaitym
02-04-2011, 11:19 PM
We got a little over 2 feet of snow. It was horrible and the worst part was that I had to go out to the Dr's office in an almost total white-out with my little front wheel drive Aveo.. It wasn't too bad until I got stuck in 12 inches of snow at the end of my driveway cause my other half hadn't plowed it yet! He had to come rescue me with a chain =/ No power outages though, so the fish never knew there was anything going on.

FishyPastor
02-05-2011, 12:51 AM
You had a snow storm in AZ??? We got a lot of snow in MI but not as much as they said. I think we got 11 or 12 inches. They said we were supposed to get like 18. We didn't have any power outages here in Kalamazoo so my fish are all fine. They are all in there warm little tanks and don't even know about the whole snow storm lol. Lucky them...
No snow here just down to the 20's at night and 50's during the day

Lady Hobbs
02-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Unhappy neighbors. Surviving fish.

It's not like their frozen foods wouldn't stay frozen if they set them outside! We're not talking about a powerless week here but several hours. Fish can die in several hours. I don't blame you at all.

Gisela
02-05-2011, 03:26 PM
The most we had here this winter was one time 7 inches, before only 1.5 or less. But winter isn't over yet. They predict some more snow next week Thursday. I have a Generator and the fish will always make it.

Red
02-05-2011, 03:35 PM
LOL.
I got 3 feet of snow, some snow drifts taller then me! No power loss though so all the fish good.

Lady Hobbs
02-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Our total snow for the winter so far is 87". Hasn't been as bad as I've seen it many years but the darned banks along the road are so high you can't see cars backing out of driveways in some area's.

FishyPastor
02-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Its been a awful winter so far. Who said there's global warming?

sallywally
02-07-2011, 02:53 AM
We lost power for about 18 hours. While we were accumulating a lot of ice on the power lines and being warned about a likely power loss, I went out and bought a generator for the fish and the Russian tortoises. For my sister and me, we had one 3-way lamp and a gas log fireplace. But the fishies and the tortoises, Vladimir and Dimitri, were just fine.

How large a generator do you use to keep the tanks going? Ours was a 5500 with a 6-gallon tank but we couldn't run very much for very long.

kingkarter
02-07-2011, 02:55 AM
You had a snow storm in AZ??? We got a lot of snow in MI but not as much as they said. I think we got 11 or 12 inches. They said we were supposed to get like 18. We didnt have any power outages here in Kalamazoo so my fish are all fine. They are all in there warm little tanks and dont even know about the whole snow storm lol. Lucky them...

Same here .

FishyPastor
02-07-2011, 03:18 AM
Happy to Say no snow here unless you live in North Arizona, Flagstaff, Grand canyon area.