PDA

View Full Version : Feeding question

farmmom
02-03-2011, 04:55 PM
I'm very new to aquariums, so am learning as I go. I was given a 50gal with all the setup and 5 fish. One of these is a pleco that I believe is about 8" long. (When I posted oringinally I said 6", but now I've gotten a better look at him.) I bought a bag of algea wafers for him, especially since I cleaned the tank really well when I was setting in back up. I fed him 3 wafers last night. This morning, when I fed the other fish, he came up to the top and stole the cube of freezedried Tubifex worms. It was fun to watch, because he would grab it and sink back to the bottom and kind of lounge back against the side of the aquarium and suck on it then spit it out. He did this several times.

My question is, am I feeding him enough, and will the tubifex worms hurt him in any way?

skullduggery1
02-03-2011, 04:59 PM
I wouldn't worry about it.The pleco wanted some animal proteins in its diet.Try some blanched peas,shrimp pellets,zuchinni.You are doing fine,what a sight to see a pleco feeding upside down on surface foods.

Cliff
02-03-2011, 05:37 PM
I would not worry about it either. They can be little food theif at times

I would also suggest giving your pleco some veggies to supplement his normal diet of algae wafers. This is actually really good for them and will help you keep him healthy. I feed my slices of zucchini, cucumber, or watermelon 3 to 4 times a week. I just put it on a fork (to weight it down) and put it in the tank in the evening. Come morning I take out what’s left over so I doesn’t rot in the tank.

If you do try this, you might have to be patent with your pleco, It took mine quite a few tries before he realized the veggies were actual food. Now they eat almost all of the veggies I put in the tank for them.

lugnut
02-03-2011, 05:56 PM
I keep reading about people who "blanch" the veggies first. If you are sticking them on a fork, are you still blanching? Is the blanching just to soften, or is this being done so the veggie sinks??

Cliff
02-03-2011, 05:59 PM
In my experiance blanched veggies still float. I have read info that suggests to blanch veggies to make it easier for the fish to eat them. As plecos will also eat wood I wasn't too worried about having to blanch there veggies.

You could try it to see if it will attract them into starting to eat veggies

farmmom
02-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!! I'll have to try these with him. This has been an interesting experience so far, and one that I am thoroughly enjoying.

Fisharefriends27
02-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Yeah, you can always enjoy fish and it's almost always a good experience.

Good Luck!

HockeyPisces14
02-03-2011, 07:55 PM
I just put it on a fork (to weight it down) and put it in the tank in the evening.

Thanks for this great idea! I also found that any kind of quick boil doesn't help with the sinking, and I don't like the idea of rubber bands in my tank, since I am not sure about plasticizers etc. Great idea, stainless steel should be fine!

CassieLEO
02-03-2011, 08:28 PM
I never blanched my veggies like zucchini or cukes for mine. They always did a good job of eating them. I used to peel off the skins to make cleanup easier!

jessfish
02-03-2011, 09:50 PM
my pleco loves the veggies i use a veggie clip (suction cups to the side of the tank)
my fish always ate the wafers b4 he could get them anyway
this has always worked great - my pleco has his 'side' of the tank (where his cave is & he spends most of his time so i hang his food here as well.

the other good thing with this routine (of putting the veg clip in same spot) is that i know when he's hungry - if the clip is there & empty he sucks on it or he just sucks all over the glass where it normally is LOL

& no blanching needed

not sure if u said u had driftwood in the tank, make sure u do they need it to stay healthy

farmmom
02-03-2011, 10:37 PM
I don't have driftwood. I guess they would have that at the Petco? I'm assuming it needs to be something that has been purified so it doesn't introduce problems to the tank. Please correct me if I'm wrong. What he has right now is a hollow plastic (or whatever it's made from) log.

Fisharefriends27
02-03-2011, 11:10 PM
They sell it online. You just have to soak it to release something called tannins.
If you just throw it in the tank tannins won't harm the fish, but will turn the water yellow. Some self sink like Malaysian driftwood others won't.

Good Luck!

jessfish
02-04-2011, 03:36 PM
ya i just put the new driftwood in a bucket of water & change it everyday until its not yellow or brown - usually takes a few days maybe a week
then its good
thumbs2: