PDA

View Full Version : Possible to add a tankmate with male betta in small aquarium?

cideon
02-03-2011, 03:32 AM
By small I mean either a 2.5gal, 3, or 5 (I don't know yet as I haven't gotten to buy one yet. Haven't bought the betta either, as I know I need to cycle the little tank first.

But just wanted to see if there's anything I could any to any of the above setups that would be safe for the betta to have a 'friend'? I have heard both that they are OK with shrimp and/or snails, and also that they are not OK. Is this a temperament thing? I was hoping to add either ghost shrimp or a mystery snail, as long as it didn't make the bioload too heavy. Is there instead a solitary fish that's maybe a bottom dweller that I could add? I wish I could add a cory, but I understand they need buddies of their own, so they're out *sigh* Any suggestions please?

~Col~
02-03-2011, 03:46 AM
It really is a temperment thing.

The betta I had left my RC Shrimp alone but didn't like the mystery snails. I plan on getting another betta soon and will probably try the RCS again.

As I said though it depends on the betta. It could be fine one day and the next...lunch!

MCHRKiller
02-03-2011, 04:28 AM
Shrimp and snails do very well with bettas IME. Amanos and Nerites are my favs...I have used Ghost shrimp with success. I would stick to Nerite snails as they are smaller and create less waste than "mystery" snails. Opt for atleast the 3-5G with tankmates. If you wanted cories spring for a 10G and get a small group of pygmy cories with the betta. A 10G honestly doesnt take up much more space than a 5G. It is only 4" longer and 2" wider.

korith
02-03-2011, 05:20 AM
I had a betta in a 20g long by himself, then added a few dozen ghost shrimp to the tank. They coexisted peacefully for several months, then during a 2 day span he took out every shrimp in the tank! So really like everyone said, depends on the temperament of the betta, no real way to know how the betta will handle a tankmate until you try.

Snails or ghost shrimp could be worth trying. Both are relatively cheap.

Fisharefriends27
02-03-2011, 01:49 PM
I heard apple snails are good, but then again I'm not a betta expert. Go for the 5 gallon because bigger is better.

Good Luck!

rich311k
02-03-2011, 02:44 PM
I think that in anything smaller than a ten just keep the betta. He will like being by himself, they like a safe secure territory and other things in the tank just stress them more. They are such pretty fish they fill the tank by themselves.

Lady Hobbs
02-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Agree with rich. No reason to have anything more in that small tank.