PDA

View Full Version : Calcium for Healthy FW Snail Shells

Rue
07-06-2007, 01:54 AM
I went back and dug this out...excellent advice by a snail expert on another forum...

I bought some Kent's Calcium Supplement a couple of weeks ago...and finally got around to adding it to the 25l tank...didn't want to leave it too long...

Many people use Kent's Marine (yes, marine) Calcium. Just follow the directions on the bottle. You can halve the dose if you want to. Other people rinse cuttlebone well and toss it in the tank or filter. You can add a handful of crushed coral and replace as it dissolves. Feed high calcium veges especially dark greens. I like Caltrate brand calcium supplements for humans. Drop one in and replace when it's gone. You have to watch the ingredients on supplements because you don't other other vitamins. Vacation feeders are basically plaster of paris and work well but get pricey. You can make your own but you need to watch the ingredients on the plaster as well. There's also a product called Wonder Shell.

Snail shells will get thin and/or eroded without enough calcium. Some will eat each other's shells if they don't get enough.

xoolooxunny
07-06-2007, 02:00 AM
cool, good to know for future reference.

troy
07-06-2007, 02:54 AM
Interesting.