PDA

View Full Version : Lost my beautiful butterfly pleco too soon

HockeyPisces14
02-02-2011, 11:20 PM
Last weekend I added a Dekeyseria pleco to my 46 gal tank (either L52 or L168). It's colors got better than they had been at my LFS within an hour of release, and he immediately began scrubbing the interior decor with vigor. He continued looking well and active the next day, then he vanished, and today, 4 days after introduction, I found that he had passed away. I am heartbroken, because I had hoped to find a pleco like him for a while.

Now I am puzzled about the reason for his demise. All water parameters are what he is supposed to like (temp, pH, hardness, current etc.), zero ammonia, nitrite and even nitrate; phosphate 0.5ppm. All other fish (black neon tetra, panda corys and otocinclus) are very lively and show strong colors and activity. And the shrimp, that I had purchased together with the pleco are alive and kicking. The only thing the pleco was exposed to are some algae, which I am currently experiencing. I read somewhere that blue-green algae (cyanobacteria) can be toxic to plecos.
Does anybody know more about this, or have any idea, where I should be looking for cause of death, before I potentially subject another poor fish to the same fate?

I really miss this fish and would be very grateful for any help.
Thanks.

skullduggery1
02-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Sometimes they are just underfed when you buy them.Sunken in eyes are a dead giveaway.Sorry for your loss.

jessfish
02-02-2011, 11:43 PM
sorry about your pleco :scry:

I saw an article about plecos & blue algae i think i saved in my fav's i'll try to tack it down & link it for you.

HockeyPisces14
02-02-2011, 11:47 PM
Sometimes they are just underfed when you buy them.Sunken in eyes are a dead giveaway.Sorry for your loss.

Thank you! His eyes seemed ok to me. Here is a (somewhat crappy) photo in his "pajama" colors on day 1 after the light came on.

HockeyPisces14
02-02-2011, 11:48 PM
sorry about your pleco :scry:

I saw an article about plecos & blue algae i think i saved in my fav's i'll try to tack it down & link it for you.

That would be wonderful. Thank you very much!

jessfish
02-03-2011, 12:07 AM
Do you have any live plants in the tank that the pleco may have had a problem with?
I don't know anything about live plants or if some are bad for plecos...just a thought

& im still looking for that article

apparently 'bushy' algae can kill catfish my sister just txt me that so i have no clue where she got the info...do u have 'wavy' or 'bushy' algae growing?

HockeyPisces14
02-03-2011, 12:11 AM
Do you have any live plants in the tank that the pleco may have had a problem with?
I don't know anything about live plants or if some are bad for plecos...just a thought

& im still looking for that article

Hmmm, that's a thought. My tank is planted, but with fairly common plants: Vals, Anubias, Echinodorus tenellus, Marimo balls, and Java moss. I will do some research on their toxicity. Thanks.

jessfish
02-03-2011, 01:35 AM
i had another thought about decorations...what do u have in the tank? anything that the pleco may have taken paint or something off of?
not sure if that could be toxic but its an idea.

& im not having any luck finding the algae article sorry

HockeyPisces14
02-03-2011, 04:36 AM
i had another thought about decorations...what do u have in the tank? anything that the pleco may have taken paint or something off of?
not sure if that could be toxic but its an idea.

& im not having any luck finding the algae article sorry

Good thought, but I have only "aquarium proof" decorations, like soaked drift wood, tank gravel and ceramic caves. And I keep thinking that anything toxic should have given the Otos a tummy ache, too... but who knows.

No worries about the article. I will dig into google tomorrow. But thanks so much for looking! :22:

Roscoe47
02-03-2011, 09:16 AM
What did you feed your Butterfly Plec or Peckolita pulcher on?

Quote from "An essential guide to choosing your Tropical freshwater fish" by Gina Sandford.

"This is one little loricariid catfish that does not cause too much trouble in the community aquarium.
For most of the day it lurks beneath a stone, or under plants, but in the evening you will see it rummaging around the aquarium in search of its favourite food agae."

"Now no matter how hard you try,the tank can never grow enough algae to keep it happy, so be sure to provide alternatives in the form of lettuce, frozen peas, courgettes and potato".

"Ideal conditions".

Water slightly acidic to neutral,soft to hard.

Temperature 23-28 degrees C(73-82 degrees F)

Food green foods, plus small aquatic invertebrates, especially frozen bloodworm.
May also take flake and tablet foods.

Minimum number in the aquarium 1.

Minimum tank size 60cm(24")

Tank region bottom.

Compatibility this otherwise fautless fish does have one drawback, it is quarrelsome with its own kind, especially if there is not enough room for each one to have its own territory, or there are insufficient hiding places.
Since their territory is just the substrate, keep only one fish in a 60X30cm (24x12")tank.
However in a 90cm(36") tank you could probably keep two.

Origins South America: in the waters of the River Negro,Xingu,and Maderia.

I'm sorry that you have lost your plec, and I hope the above info from my book is of help to you,
Regards,

Peter.

HockeyPisces14
02-03-2011, 02:03 PM
What did you feed your Butterfly Plec or Peckolita pulcher on?

Thank you, Peter!

I bought him as Dekeyseria (either brachyura, L168, or L52), but I believe Peckoltia pulcher has been used as a name as well. The only food he got were the algae and one Hikari pleco sinking tab.

Thank you so much for all the info! All conditions mentioned were met in my tank. That, and the fact that he showed such strong colors (much better than in the store), had me think that he was really happy.
I wish, fish could talk...

Roscoe47
02-03-2011, 05:32 PM
Thank you, Peter!

I bought him as Dekeyseria (either brachyura, L168, or L52), but I believe Peckoltia pulcher has been used as a name as well. The only food he got were the algae and one Hikari pleco sinking tab.

Thank you so much for all the info! All conditions mentioned were met in my tank. That, and the fact that he showed such strong colors (much better than in the store), had me think that he was really happy.
I wish, fish could talk...

I believe that TetraMin also produce a tablet food especially for Plecs.

Send me a PM, and we can chat about your plec.

Regards,

Peter.

gabbyguppy
02-03-2011, 06:28 PM
How long did you acclimate him?

I usually drip acclimate for several hours, just in case the pH at the LFS differs from my tanks.

Karen

HockeyPisces14
02-03-2011, 07:44 PM
How long did you acclimate him?

I usually drip acclimate for several hours, just in case the pH at the LFS differs from my tanks.

Karen

I had no idea, that it can take this long to acclimate a new arrival. My guy was bag-bound for about 40 minutes with slow water replacement from my tank. Maybe I need to extend that period. I am also planning to ask my LFS for their water parameters.
Thanks for the tip.

HockeyPisces14
03-05-2011, 08:06 PM
Well, after I completely eradicated all blue-green algae in my tank and carefully monitored my water parameters, I tried again.
Two somewhat larger butterfly plecos moved in about three weeks ago. This time I made the transition as slow and comfortable as possible (Thank you, Gabbyguppy for the suggestion!). I turned off the tank lights and slowly dripped tank water into their acclimating bucket over the course of 2 hours.
And they are alive and.... invisible! I know, where they hide, though and do a daily pleco-check with a flash light. I am so happy that they seem fine and hope that they will stay with me for a long time.
Here is a picture (no, it is not upside-down). :ssmile:

jessfish
03-05-2011, 08:20 PM
sounds great! i hope they continue to do well, that picture is really neat!

Cyberra
03-05-2011, 10:09 PM
^_^ That's a great pic, and good luck with the new plecos

Rue
03-06-2011, 12:48 AM
I'm glad you found plecs and that they're doing well.

Drip acclimate FW fish 30 - 1 hr.

SW needs much longer...2 hours...

It won't hurt to take longer, I don't think, but it doesn't help after a certain point either...

HockeyPisces14
03-06-2011, 02:36 AM
Thanks everybody! I'm a total sucker for plecos (pun kinda intended) and am happy that my two butterflies seem to have responded well to the new introduction method.
Thanks for the timing scale, Rue. So far my plecos seemed to have only gotten bored after 1 hour in the drip bucket. :sleep: