PDA

View Full Version : Female with male?

gball
02-02-2011, 10:08 PM
My male betta seems lonely in his 3g tank. Can I put a female in there with him or will he kill her. If not, is there any other kind of fish (or other creature) that he would be alright with?

Brhino
02-02-2011, 10:13 PM
One of them will kill the other. Male and female bettas are usually only put together briefly for breeding, and even then they often end up injuring each other.

A 3 gallon tank is very small for attempting any company with a male betta, especially if he's been the only fish in there for a while. Personally I wouldn't try it unless you can get a bigger tank like a 10 gallon. I have an apple snail and a few red cherry shrimp with my male betta in a 10 gallon. He tried to kill both the snail and the shrimp when they were first introduced, but was unable to and quickly got bored of trying. I can't guarantee anyone else would have the same result with a similar setup - a lot depends on the temperament of the individual fish.

Cyberra
02-02-2011, 11:36 PM
I would not recommend putting a male and female together in a tank that small. You'll end up with one dead betta and one wounded betta.

Lady Hobbs
02-03-2011, 12:49 AM
They do very well alone. People often "think" they are lonely only to find they may kill anything you put in the tank with them. And never their own species unless it's females together.

Cassandra
02-03-2011, 01:05 AM
I once had a chinese algae eater in a tank with a male betta. They completely left each other alone lol

Fisharefriends27
02-03-2011, 01:21 AM
It doesn't matter because 3 gallons is a little on the small side for one. I say 2.5 gallons min while 5 gallons being better

Good Luck!

Cyberra
02-03-2011, 01:27 AM
They do very well alone. People often "think" they are lonely only to find they may kill anything you put in the tank with them. And never their own species unless it's females together.
And I wouldn't put females together in anything under 5 gallons at the very least.

Xavier
02-03-2011, 02:00 AM
I've heard that your can place them together, but that you need a lot more than 3 gal (more like 15gal) and there needs to be several females, around 6. Less than 6 and the male will chase a single female to death.

That being said, your betta isn't lonely, but probably bored. Move things around in his tank, give him some new real plants and maybe pick up some non-toxic coloured ping pong balls. Drop a few in and see if he plays with them (clean them first and make sure there aren't any dyes).

In my 15 gal, I have a BN pleco. The two don't pay any attention to one another. When I had snails, the betta didn't care about them either.