PDA

View Full Version : Shrimpy case

Fisharefriends27
02-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Ok I have a 2.5 gallon bow front tank. I have a couple questions.

1)do shrimp need cycled tanks?

2)are there cold water shrimp?

3)what kind and how many shrimp?

4)can I use just room light or would it be better to buy a light

a lot of questions Thanks!

Brhino
02-02-2011, 04:00 PM
1)do shrimp need cycled tanks?
Yes. Shrimp tend to be pretty sensitive to water quality.

2)are there cold water shrimp?
What do you mean by "cold water" exactly? There are lots of shrimp that will thrive at normal room temperatures, but if you're going much colder than that it may be an issue.

3)what kind and how many shrimp?
Plenty to chose from. How many depends on the shrimp. The most popular easy shrimp may be the Red Cherry Shrimp. If you start with 10-20 they'll soon breed until they're a healthy-sized colony.

4)can I use just room light or would it be better to buy a light
Plants are the only things that "need" light. If you don't have plants, its just a question of whether you have enough light to see them or not.

Fisharefriends27
02-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Ok so 10 red cherry shrimp at room temp and room light

What filter do you recommend?

Brhino
02-02-2011, 04:21 PM
I don't know much about filters for tanks that small. If you get a small sponge filter or something they'll enjoy picking bits of food and debris out of the sponge. You'll also want to avoid anything they can get sucked into.

Fisharefriends27
02-02-2011, 04:26 PM
I'm starting to change my mind a little but this is after my adf dies I know it's not good to put them in a tank so small(adf) but this was when I was the kid who put goldfish in a bowl. I'm not entirely sure if I'm gonna do shrimp though but thanks you've been a great help!

Cyberra
02-02-2011, 11:38 PM
I don't know much about filters for tanks that small. If you get a small sponge filter or something they'll enjoy picking bits of food and debris out of the sponge. You'll also want to avoid anything they can get sucked into.
My 2.6-gal came with a filter. Then again, mine came as a complete kit instead of just a tank.

Fisharefriends27
02-03-2011, 12:15 AM
My tank had a filter but it broke

male molly kid
02-17-2011, 11:35 PM
dooooo it shrimps are realy cool ok i know yer scepticul but get them! and cherry red shrimp are perfect!thumbs2: