PDA

View Full Version : Hmm? What plants to use?

Adrian
02-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Some of you have read the post where I have bought and in the process of setting up a 75 gallon tank. I will have 3.5 watts per gallon, and running a temp of about 84 degrees F. for some discus that I will get further on down the road. But....

What plants can thrive in that type of enviroment? Not all plants will tolerate that kind of heat. Any ideas? Thank you!

Low
02-01-2011, 11:17 PM
look up takashi amano some of his tanks he has discus in them look at the plants he uses and what is his lighting and temps

Lady Hobbs
02-02-2011, 12:43 AM
The only thing with takashi amano's tanks is most you see are set up strickly for looks for photo shots and shows. Most have no fish in the tanks, no heaters, no filters. There are several Discus people here and they will give you some good suggestions.

DrNic
02-02-2011, 03:08 AM
Amano tanks are great to model from but they can take a significant effort to mimic depending on the style you go with.

My next setup will also be a discus tank in my 75G. I'm planning to do a solid wall of vals in the back, with a solid dwarf sag carpet and single bit of driftwood in the center planted with java fern. Very simple layout but very pretty and the plants are all ok at that temp.

CassieLEO
02-02-2011, 03:26 AM
I love the wavy leaf swords. It gets huge but is such a beautiful plant!!! Im awful at decorating a tank, but I love my plants...Heres a picture of mine-
http://i1102.photobucket.com/albums/g444/Cassie_Roark/newtank2.jpg

xximanoobxx
02-02-2011, 05:31 AM
Be careful, you might deal with algae when you have too much light.
Anyways, with plants, it really depends on your taste.
What I would do is have a different variety of Cryptocorynes: like Pontederiifolia in the back, and some wendtii, beckettii, or pygmaeus. If you want a foreground, you'll have to set up a CO2 system. While DIY is pushing it, pressurized is your best bet. Also add some wood in the tank, it'll lower the pH, which the discus would love.

Also, if you want a grassy background, you can look up Eleocharis montevidensis. Looks nice when it reaches the top of the surface of the water.
http://www.emugii.com/plant1layout/files/attach/images/310055/542/311/17.jpg

This one is a nice discus planted tank
http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/images/thumbimg/650/13014_1.jpg

Adrian
02-02-2011, 01:20 PM
After reading what was posted, I do like crypts, as they are relatively easy to grow, and some can get quite large. I will be adding some mopani driftwood to my tank to help lower the ph. I have a couple of really nice pieces that would look great.

I would like to add some anubias to the driftwood, as I like the way they look, and not sure if they can survive in the warmer temps, but they are some pretty hardy plants. Takes a lot to kill them off. Least that has been my experience with them. I don't know if aponogen crispus or any of that species will grow, but would like to try. Also, the tiger lotus was always a fav of mine, and wonder about that one as well.

Fore ground, I want dwarf sag, or something similar. A carpet would be nice, but will take time to grow in.

Thanks for the help. Will keep you all posted. :)