PDA

View Full Version : Shortnose became a statistic

Demjor19
01-31-2011, 04:54 PM
Shortnose gar are by far the most skittish and flighty of all Gar species. Combine their flighty nature with a primitive spinal structure and you have a very self destructive fish. These fish are extremely prone to spinal injuries due to them slamming into the glass (normally resulting in death).

Then there are the cases like I walked into this morning...My Shorty is laying at the bottom of the tank gasping and unable to swim. I'm trying to decide how long I give him before making the decision to Euthanize him (which I totally dread). I have raised this guy from about 5" and thought I was in the clear. This is the part of fish keeping that I really hate...What a day. :scry:

CassieLEO
01-31-2011, 04:55 PM
:( Awwww Im so sorry about your fish. Thats so sad :(

UncleWillie
01-31-2011, 05:41 PM
Sorry to hear. You're right about the potential hazards of having them in home aquaria. Sure there are tanks that are big enough to house them, but like you said, if one gets startled, you can have some trouble. Such a long fish and one short burst can propel the fish into tank walls or lids. Some people forget that many gar breach to get atmospheric oxygen, and sometimes height between water level and hoods/lids goes get forgotten. I hope your fish recovers.

Rue
01-31-2011, 06:08 PM
Sorry about your gar...and yes, that's the part that's the worst...just having them die on you when they shouldn't have...:scry:

Demjor19
01-31-2011, 06:09 PM
Sorry to hear. You're right about the potential hazards of having them in home aquaria. Sure there are tanks that are big enough to house them, but like you said, if one gets startled, you can have some trouble. Such a long fish and one short burst can propel the fish into tank walls or lids. Some people forget that many gar breach to get atmospheric oxygen, and sometimes height between water level and hoods/lids goes get forgotten. I hope your fish recovers.

Thanks. I'm pretty bummed over this.

A few of us that have been working with these fish for quite some time are actually finding that raising these fish in smaller tanks and gradually stepping up their tank size as they grow is proving to be more effective in preventing injury/death. When you give them a larger tank (too much room to run)...That is where they normally get into trouble (at least as YOY-juvies).

Demjor19
02-11-2011, 12:44 AM
So...Since this thread was started I have been finding reasons not to euthanize this poor fish as all he did was lay at the bottom of the tank...Didn't move to breathe, eat, or even swim. he could barely sit upright! Once in a while he would break out into a uncontrollable random flailing around the tank, then he would settle back to the bottom.

This morning I came into my office to get ready for work and noticed he was not in his normal resting spot...I figured he had finally passed (which was almost a relief). As I began to look for his body floating in the tank...There he was! He was cruising around the tank and coming up for regular breaths like nothing was ever wrong! He hasn't eaten yet, but he appears to be better!? I will attempt to feed him again tomorrow, but this just blew my mind! I'll keep you updated!

JCheco
02-11-2011, 02:25 AM
Awesome news

Lady Hobbs
02-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Glad the gar appears to be improved. Probably knocked himself silly. I can see bala sharks doing the same thing when they take off at 30 miles an hour and run out of room. :)

Demjor19
02-11-2011, 08:38 PM
I offered him food today and he ate it! I'm amazed...I honestly thought he was a goner! Hopefully he stays healthy now! I'll have to get him a little gar helmet! :14:

Sandz
02-12-2011, 12:36 AM
That is awesome news to hear! Great job waiting him out until he recovered!

tori.lock
02-28-2011, 06:13 AM
The thread might be a little old, but it's never too late to celebrate good news. As I skimmed the thread I was expecting a sad ending, but alas! It's amazing what some fish can pull through. Congratulations! Many long happy years together, you two!

Demjor19
02-28-2011, 01:44 PM
The thread might be a little old, but it's never too late to celebrate good news. As I skimmed the thread I was expecting a sad ending, but alas! It's amazing what some fish can pull through. Congratulations! Many long happy years together, you two!

Thanks! So far he is still eating like a champ and doing very well!

Crispy
02-28-2011, 03:23 PM
good to see your little monster back in good health! best of luck in the future with him! :fish: