PDA

View Full Version : Starting Planted Tank

superbsite
01-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Hi Everyone

My Low Light Plants Plants are being shipped and will reach me in a day ie tomorrow.

Ive currently caught the flu and since I wanted to avoid contact with water via rinsing my Seachem Flourite, doing a potassium permangnate dip on the plants, tearing the gravel tank...etc, etc till I recover.

So, Is it ok if I store my plants in a bucket of water for 5 days till the next Saturday ?

Thanks

Lady Hobbs
01-30-2011, 05:57 PM
I have simply allowed mine to float in the tank for a few days while waiting on substrate. With the water warm and them getting light, they were fine. You could even put them in zip locks this way.

smaug
01-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Float them in the tank or if you don't want to do that then floating them in a bucket of water with a bit of liquid fert for a few days.even without the added fert they will have enough stored nutrients to do jusst fine for 5 days.

superbsite
01-31-2011, 10:26 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice
Cheers

Alasse
01-31-2011, 10:37 PM
Low light plants are quite hardy. Java fern, will last for weeks shoved in a bucket and still be healthy when you grab it out. Others not so much, Val, crypts will do ok for 5 days. Depends what other plants you have

smaug
01-31-2011, 11:17 PM
Whatever you do...........just make sure to remember there feelings :14:

CassieLEO
01-31-2011, 11:23 PM
Make sure you take pictures!!!!

Ticklemekevin10
02-01-2011, 12:19 AM
what kind of plants did you get?

superbsite
02-02-2011, 07:08 PM
These are the plants Ive ordered. Theyre delayed so their arriving Thursday so I'll have weekend to set up

SCIENTIFIC NAME /COMMON NAME
Foreground/ Carpet Plants
Sagittaria Sp. (Dwarf)/Dwarf Sagittaria
Riccia Fluitans / Riccia [Loose Bunch] Crystalwort
Ferns & Anubias
Anubias Barteri Var Barteri / Anubias Barteri - Ordinary
Micro Pteropus -- "Java Fern" / Java Fern
Micro.Pteropus   -- 'Narrow Leaf' / Java Fern - Narrow Leaf
Stem Plants
Cabomba Caroliniana /Green Cabomba
Cabomba Piauhyensis /Red Cabomba
Egeria Densa / Giant Hydrilla
Egeria Najas / Common Hydrilla
Bulb, Rizom & Grass  Plants
Cryptocoryne Retrospiralis / Cryptocoryne Green (New Sp.)
Sagittaria Sp. (Giant) /Giant Sagittaria
Sagittaria Sp. (Narrow Leaf) / Narrow Leaf Sagittaria
Vallisneria Gigantea / Giant Vallisneria
Vallisnaria Spiralis / Common Vallisneria

Couldnt resist the Cabomba even though they are not low light

I only think I went overboard on the quantity ordered :)

Cheers

FishyPastor
02-03-2011, 03:58 PM
I am looking for a place order my plants who did you get them from?

superbsite
02-03-2011, 04:06 PM
I'll PM U :)

superbsite
02-06-2011, 09:14 AM
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/3125/dsc02622q.jpg

Heres the first pic of the planted tank but almost 24 hrs later

Heres how I started.

When the plants came, I did a 15 min dip of all the plants in Potassium Permagnate and rinsed them in declorinated water twice and kept them
overnight in a bucket and basin with the lights for them

Next day I took out 3/4th of the tank water and the fish into the same bucket. Then cleared the pebbles removed the UGF and all the mulm. Washed the sides of the tank with some old water.

Flourite is really a pain. I did a only short rinse of one bag just to eliminate the dust that can be taken off which makes the water black. The short
rinse was because Ive read that people have washed and washed it and theyve lost almost 1/3rd. I used half dry from another.

I put one piece of styrofoam (for the rock). Covered it and the bottom of the tank with dry floutite. Then wet on top. Leveled the flourite to give a low
to high view. Then brought in my driftwood with moss. Added the rock. Then added part of the 3/4th water I took out from my using a saucer till I
covered the substrate. Began my planting. Water got messed up. Plants getting uprooted constantly. Need real patience. I thank the forum here for
letting me know in advance on patience :) Filled up the balance tank with water. Couldnt see an inch further in the tank because to was cloudy than ever.

Now I let it lie overnight w/o the power head filter running expecting the cloudyness to settle but no avail. So now Ive started the filter runing. The
photo is after I started the filter running for 1 hour. Today I can see the drift wood and the rock

My power head fillter is one direction (front from R-L). I have an attachment to add a flow from front to back. So there will be 2 directions of water flow, but Im worried that the flow of water would uproot some of the plants especially the bulb ones as they seem to bob up frequently

There is a lot of dust settled on the plants so the plants are not looking there true green colours

Seachem recommends / promotes use of one of their products to clear the water but thats to expensive for me

Questions
How long does this take to clear ?
Do all substrates cause this kind of clouding ?
Will a water change help ?
Will dust still come up every time I replant uprooted plants ?
Should I take out the whole thing again and wash the flourite thoroughly even though I'll loose at lease 1/3 ?
Some of my plants have a reddish brown like threads on them I did a PP dip already. Should I take each leaf and clean them up ?
Will the dust on the leaves come off or do I physically have to do it ?
Will adding a DIY UGF like an airstone in a pipe, and the pipe in the Flourite help in pulling the dust below?

Thanks

CassieLEO
02-06-2011, 08:04 PM
It looks like you are having a bacterial bloom. How old is your tank? What are you using for filtration? Whats your parameters? Have you read up on cycling?
You need to rinse the substrate much, much better, and there will be some cloudiness, but it should have settled down by now. I see that you said you removed the fish and mixed everything around and such. So you mixed up a lot of the debris that was in the water and your filter couldnt handle it. Now it is cycling to process all the stuff in the water column... This is if I read your hijacked thread right...
Also, the redish threads are Diatoms from a uncycled tank trying to cycle. Its a form of Algae.

superbsite
02-07-2011, 06:32 AM
Sorry. I didnt know that was called hijacking. I just did not want to double post again. Thats why I linked it. I wish there was an edit mode to rectify the error I've caused.

Hmm so where would all my querys fit in because they are multiple and they involve plants

Can a moderator delete this thread and move it here or I can repost it again

Thanks

Jacko
02-07-2011, 08:47 AM
@Cassieleo- you can't really hijack your own thread with a post about questions on a planted tank on a thread about your first planted tank... i'd call it more of an update which seems perfectly acceptable to me.

@OP- IMO, a "bump" on the old thread would have worked just fine, but keep in mind alot of people don't check the site daily.

The reason for all the cloudyness sounds like you didn't rinse your flourite well enough, I've rinsed the stuff for hours and still get a slight bit of cloudyness. With flourite, the word "rinse" is very misleading, you're brutally washing it in reality. You're looking at alot of water changes and work to clear the tank up, my suggestion is some extremely fine filter floss in a hang on back filter (or the media chamber on the powerhead would work) for a few days or until it clears up.

superbsite
02-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Thanks Jacko.

Its looking much clearer today as I can now see the back of my tank and at this rate if might clear in a day or two. What is bothering me is because I did not wash it some umpteen times, with every uprooting / replanting and gravel cleaning water change the dust will come up again and again.

This dust has also settled on the leaves of the plants as how currently they are and they need to be physically wiped. Just water flow doesn't help cleaning it off them and If I increase my powerfilter water flow to 2 directions then my stem plants will get uprooted (esp the bulb ones).

I really dont mind starting from scratch again ie removing the plants and washing the Flourite again. Better to work harder now. But really painful. Thank goodness its only 18 gallon.

The trouble in Flourite is clay based and the muddy water in the washing never stops. So I'll have to wash till the water gets clearer and you can see the Flourite through the water. Right ?.

Sorry if I confused you Cassie in my relinking to the original post

Cheers

CassieLEO
02-07-2011, 11:19 AM
WHat about removing some of the water with frequent water changes to get rid of the cloudiness so you dont have to tear down everything again? It wont hurt the fish and they actually dont mind water changes.
No, I was just confused, its my problem LOL!!!!! Its frusterating when people hijack posts and it makes it so confusing (its a pet peeve of mine), so you dont need to be sorry at all, I was having a blond moment, you didnt do anything wrong ;)

superbsite
02-08-2011, 09:11 AM
AaaHH. Finally. I tore down the whole tank yesterday. Took out all the plants. Cleant each and every leaf. Washed/Rinsed the Flourite like crazy till it cleared from muddy to light pale grey. I tell you Flourite has made me a bad environmental person because never have I wasted so much water in my life. Just cant help it I live in an apartment and so I dont have a garden where this water could have helped.

Replanted everything and actually spent time tying the anibus and java fern to driftwood and rocks. Filled the water using tubing line in a bowl. Yeah slow and steady wins the race. Those bulb plants really *issed me off bobbing up always. Cursed myself to have patience with them :) Filters running now Started at 8pm and finished at 1am. 5 hours. Whew !

No matter what, that Flourite will always cloud the water when youre replanting or siphoning the substrate during water changes.

Now to get into the fish cycle.

Cassie, thanks for the wishes on my cycling.

Cheers

Lady Hobbs
02-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Why didn't you simple do a couple large water changes rather than stir everything up again? Some of those substrates don't need to be washed to death because you wash the nutritents out.

I would have also stuck some filter floss in the filter to catch those small particles, rinsed it out a couple times a day and used it again until the tank cleared up.

Two threads are now moved together, OK.

superbsite
02-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Thanks Lady Hobbs. Ill add some filter floss on to my powerhead.

Heres what my tank looks like now
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7931/dsc02623k.jpg

Much Better

One Question on pruning and maintenance.

What do I do with
1. Leaves that have holes. Some of my Java have.
2. Withering ones. They have dark spots like a scab :)
3. Half Yellow. Do I clip and discard ?
4. Full Yellow (Ive clipped and discarded)
5. Broken leaves but still there. Do I clip and discard halfway or remove the whole leaf ?

Thanks