PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Tiger Oscars

harvey
07-05-2007, 02:24 PM
I have 3 oscars that I would like to attempt to breed. They are approximately 7 inches long and I have had them for 8 months. Any help would be appreciated.

Fishguy2727
07-05-2007, 10:52 PM
If they pair of on their own you are set, but the best way to breed is to get a group of about 6 juveniles and let them grow up together and pair off on their own.

harvey
07-11-2007, 01:09 PM
thanks fishguy for your information. I had read up on breeding online. I read the part about not getting 3, they pick on one of them, but getting 6 to help insure a pair. I sort of inherited this tank. My son brought it home. I had never had fish before. He set it up and I have taken care of it and enjoyed it so much. I probably would have never done this on my own.

Nolapete
07-12-2007, 03:18 PM
It will probably take at least 4 - 10 more months before they start thinking about pairing off, so you have some time to acquire a few more to add to the mix. I would separate new fish from the old with an egg crate divider until you see how the old fish respond. There's always someone in my area getting rid of large oscars, so I'm sure there's probably the same in your area just check the LFS.

Oscars don't show the sexual dimorphism that most cichlids do, so the only accurate ways of sexing them is either to have an experienced person "vent" the fish (check the breeding tube prior to spawning) or identify them when they spawn.

salman
07-18-2007, 11:54 PM
Oscars are really fun to breed and you can make a big profit off of them. Alot of people buy oscars (or atleast where i am) If you get like 10 baby oscars, and let them grow in your tank. Months later, you can expect 2 or 3 of them to mate and you will be having fry on a monthly basis. They take care of their babies, but it it not uncommon for them to eat their eggs or fry from the first attempt. Then you can keep whatever you want and sell the rest or exchange them for some new fish.