PDA

View Full Version : Article updates

dev
07-05-2007, 01:17 PM
I've started to read through the article collection, and while most of them are great I do find certain information that is outdated or wrong.

I don't see a way to comment on the article, nor is there any author listed. Where should one send comments and suggestions?

As an example, we can take the description for blue-green algae in the "Algae In Aquariums" article.

The blue-green algae are much more harmful than the green algae types and produce substances that are toxic for fish. Excessive illumination and high nitrate and phosphate levels create an ideal environment for these algae. Fish do not eat blue-green algae and the best way to get rid of these algae is a week of total darkness in the aquarium. Several water changes are also a must to get rid of them.

What was formely known as blue-grean algae is now known to be group of bacteria, specifically Cyanobacteria. They can elaborate certain toxins, but while they may cover the leaves of plants and hindering their photosynthesis they are usually not harmfull to fish. Since these are bacteria rather than algae they cannot be killed with algaecides, if a chemical treatment is neccesary antibiotics will have a better effect. A high concentration of nitrates, particularly KNO3 is known to limit their growth. Their ideal environment is believed to include a high level of dissolved organics and phosphates, good lighting, low nitrate levels, low oxygen levels and marginal water movement.

I could be wrong, but I believe all of the above can be documented. It's also possible I have left some things out. Something more about removing them with salt, Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2), or a hand held UV-light might also be interesting

dev
07-08-2007, 01:00 PM
Thought this one needed a bump.

I think it's important that the articles are accurate and up to date.

William
07-09-2007, 03:00 PM
Hi
yes there might be some outdated info around. I try to make changes but it hard to keep track of all the pages.

Pm me if you find anything you think is wrong including the article name (url if possible) and what you think is wrong in it and I will look into it.

I will take a look at the algea article as soon as I get some spare time.

elmer
07-18-2007, 03:34 PM
I was reading Cleaning Your Filter (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquarium/cleaningfilter.php) and I think that Nitrate and Nitrite are mixed up in the fourth paragraph.