PDA

View Full Version : Salvini setup?

kiwibug
07-05-2007, 09:54 AM
I have a 130 liter tank with two juvenile salvini's and 1 hoplosternum catfish in it - is this a good size tank for these fish?
I wasn't planning on adding any other fish as i know the salvini's can be agressive. I have an undergravel filter and an external filter as well (aquaclear150)
Any comments welcome:c12:

dev
07-05-2007, 10:06 AM
I have a 130 liter tank with two juvenile salvini's and 1 hoplosternum catfish in it - is this a good size tank for these fish?
I wasn't planning on adding any other fish as i know the salvini's can be agressive. I have an undergravel filter and an external filter as well (aquaclear150)
Any comments welcome:c12:

There are a number of different hoplosternums, so I'm only guessing you have Megalechis thoracata known as spotted hoplo, which is the most common one.

This one would be happier in a slightly larger tank, something like a 200 liter. The other spiecies of hoplosternums are both larger and smaller and have different demands. You might want to check which one you have.

If you by salvini mean Cichlasoma salvini known as yellow belly cichlid these will be fine as juveniles, but will require a lot more space as adults. 250-300 liters is my reccomended minimum. Others may find that you can have them in slightly smaller tanks, and some would say you need a 720 liter. But clearly your 130 liter will not do in the long run.

Your filtering sounds adequate. The undergravel filter should make up for the undersized aquaclear hangon filter, but keep in mind that the two species mentioned requires very good filtering. And sand or a very fine grained gravel would be a better substrate for these, making the undergravel filter uneffective. The adult salvini might also appreciate a powerhead for a little extra water movement.

nanaglen2001
07-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Concerning the Salvinis I agree totaly with DEV

kiwibug
07-06-2007, 08:47 AM
Cool - thanks for that, gives me something to think about.
Would dwarf cichilds be more suitable? if so, what would you suggest?

YaYgoldFish
07-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Ever thought about rams, kribs, or something like that? Those look pretty nice.

troy
07-06-2007, 04:18 PM
What about Golden Dwarf Cichlids or the other dwarf cichlids from South America.