PDA

View Full Version : dwarf gouramis ? lifespan

crushingmyself
07-04-2007, 09:18 PM
hello everyone i wanted to buy 1 male dwarf gourami and i wanted to know the lifespan i have read 4 or 5 years for their lifespan also i have read they get sick easily and what can be done to prevent this also what meds are best to treat them when i first buy them and place him in the qt tank thank you for your time

gm72
07-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Okay. Periods are great things to help us make sense of your questions.

Lifespan of 4 years is, I believe, pushing it for a dwarf gourami. More like 2-3 years in my experience, but YMMV. They are very sensitive to water parameters. Keep up with regular tank maintenance and you should be fine.

Why would you treat them with meds when you first buy them? Unless they demonstrate active signs and symptoms of illness you don't need to treat them. Quarantine for a week or two then release into the primary tank.

troy
07-05-2007, 12:02 AM
My brother a long time ago had some sort of gourami in a 1 gallon and for a little bit of time of in a 2 1/2 gallon for 5 or 6 years before it died.

RobbieG
07-05-2007, 12:59 AM
4 years or so if nothing at all goes wrong ever with your tank, or your water, and they never get sick.

You shouldn't use medications on fish unless you are certain they need it. Follow gm72's suggestions with the quarantine and you will be fine