PDA

View Full Version : My Bristlenose keeps fainting

GrahamB
01-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Hi,

OK, I know fish don't faint, but it is the only way to describe what he is doing.

Normally, he resides on the underside of a piece of bogwood. Lately, I spot him lying on his back on the gravel, his gills are still moving and if there are any noises (like opening the lid) he will reattach himself to the bogwood but will return to his sunbathing position later.

Anybody got any ides? He is about 18 months old and 4" in length.

I would hate to lose him as he is my favourite ( but don't tell the others )

Cheers

Graham

CassieLEO
01-25-2011, 01:52 PM
How are the water conditions? Parameters? Filtration? Heat? ANy new fish? Has he been sick other than his fainting? How old is his driftwood hes on? How is his condition otherwise? By the looks of your tank you are overstocked. Do you have any pictures?

chrisfraser05
01-25-2011, 01:55 PM
not that this is the cause without seeing your ammo and nitrate levels etc but your tank is defo overstocked.

My first thought would be, is he getting enough to eat???

With 2 bristle noses in a tank that size theres gonna be competition.

Is his belly fat or does it go in?

GrahamB
01-25-2011, 02:12 PM
Hi,

Those tank specs are old.

The water parameters, ammo, nitrite, nitrate and Ph are all fine. Two internal filters (Fluval U3, Interpet PF3) providing good cirulation and surface disturbance. Temp runs at 25, very consistently. Bogwood is approx 12 months old but nice and clean.

Belly nice and rounded (he is first to feed).

The only out of character trait is that he has recently taken to wanting to be wherever the catfish is and has started excavating the gravel under everything.

Graham

Lady Hobbs
01-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Fish do odd things and he's eating and acting fine so probably just sleeping. You are describing what a loach does, actually. BN lay upside down attached to wood but I haven't seen one doing this out in the open.

VoidParadigm
01-26-2011, 12:35 AM
Sometimes one of my plecos will "fall off" from an upside down perch, sometimes taking a little while to right himself. Mine probably accidentally stuns himself, but yours may just be falling asleep.

Fish that are comfortable in their aquariums are sometimes known to sleep on their sides or upside down. It's weird, but it's not impossible.

I don't guarantee it's normal, but I don't personally know of any disease that causes plecos to fall.

Xavier
01-26-2011, 12:43 AM
I've caught mine doing the same thing. I rarely see her during the day, but I have seen her on her back under the driftwood not moving. A little noise makes her instantly latch onto the driftwood. Probably just resting her mouth :P

~Col~
01-26-2011, 11:14 PM
One of my BN's sleeps upsidedown in a cory cave. Not attached to anything, just lying there with it's tail sticking out.