PDA

View Full Version : Any warnings on these plants

Sirex
01-25-2011, 03:41 AM
I am thinking about these plants for a 20 gallon tank. I will have zebra danios, black phantom tetras, and a few guppies. I will also have some ghost shrimp. Do you see any issues.

Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum)

Java Fern (Microsorium pteropus)

Amazon Sword

I have one broadleaf sagittaria already in the tank.

I have white sand with gravel islands as substrate.

Thanks

funkman262
01-25-2011, 05:44 AM
Hornwort becomes a mess in the tank, java fern is ok in low light and amazon sword requires high light. The fern pulls nutrients from the water column while the sword and hornwort pull nutrients from the substrate. So, in order to know if those plants are ok for your tank, we'd need to know what kind of lights you're running and how you're dosing the tank with nutrients if at all.

rich311k
01-25-2011, 11:51 AM
Hornwort is not a rooted plant. Those plants should do ok. The sword may not grow well or it may take over the tank, depends on light etc. there is no harm in trying them.

DrNic
01-25-2011, 03:49 PM
Those plants are generally fine. I agree that hornwort can become a problem as it has a tendency to melt and make a mess though. Aside from that you should be fine.

Scrup
01-26-2011, 12:17 AM
Looks good to me. I've never had a problem with hornwort falling apart except when it has next to no light.

Alasse
01-26-2011, 12:25 AM
All those plants sound pretty good. Unsure on Hornwort though, personally have never tried it. I do have swords in a low light tank though, doing really well. Not all swords do well though, certain types are better than others.

Sasquatch
01-26-2011, 01:16 AM
Keep the hornwort trimmed and it'll be fine. It's usually only the older growth that tends to break down.

Swords will require decent light and some fertilizers wouldn't do any harm.

Sirex
01-26-2011, 03:54 AM
Thanks everyone. I have a standard bulb that came with my aqueous 20 gallon deluxe kit.

I am open to suggestions on plants. I am looking for some tall plants for the back and some others that would work with my size tank and fish.

I am not ready to take care of Needy plants because I am going to school and have full time job with a family.

Thanks in advance

Sasquatch
01-26-2011, 12:34 PM
In a 20g with low lighting, I'd suggest plants like Java fern and Anubias. You can try hygroplila and bacopa species too. They won't grow fast, but they should grow a little bit under your lighting.

Lady Hobbs
01-26-2011, 12:49 PM
I agree unless you plan to upgrade the lighting. I think perhaps the sword plant may big a big too large in a 20 gallon, too.

funkman262
01-26-2011, 02:37 PM
I think perhaps the sword plant may big a big too large in a 20 gallon, too.

So true lol. Mine were so small when I bought them but now they stick out of the top of my 90g tank which is 2' tall.