PDA

View Full Version : New/First Tank!

AussieJosh1996
01-25-2011, 01:09 AM
Hey all, I finally got my first aquarium! It's 1.22 metresx0.46metresx0.46metres and it roughly holds 260 litres of water. With it came an AquaOne 1200 Canister Filter, heater, thermometer, conditioner, stuff that helps to start off the good bacteria cycle, etc. So, at the moment it's cycling (I think) and the only question I have is that when the filtered water enters back into the tank it doesn't break the surface with bubbles or anything. I put a 'Spray Bar' attachment on the outlet of the filter which is submerged under water and the water goes back into the tank via 6 holes along the 'Spray Bar'. When this water rises it doesn't quite break the surface so I was wondering if that when I get fish in the tank will this not supply enough oxygen for them to live?

Thanks,
Joshthumbs2:

JDA70
01-25-2011, 01:20 AM
Generally speaking Plants and or an air pump with Air Stone
are used to supply oxygen. How you find out is by watching the fish
and see if they keep going to the top and or staying there.
If they do then that means you need more oxygen.

AussieJosh1996
01-25-2011, 01:28 AM
Generally speaking Plants and or an air pump with Air Stone
are used to supply oxygen. How you find out is by watching the fish
and see if they keep going to the top and or staying there.
If they do then that means you need more oxygen.
Thanks, the reason I didn't get an air pump is because the guy at the fish store said that an air pump produces VERY little oxygen, he said apparently only 2% of all oxygen in the water would be from an air pump. Another reason is that the tank is in my room and air pumps are loud so would make it hard to sleep but I should probably get one any way.

Thanks,
Joshthumbs2:

JDA70
01-25-2011, 01:51 AM
Why not go with plants?

There are a bunch that look good and don't need much light.

flydustydawg
01-25-2011, 01:56 AM
It would not be a bad idea to invest in a small HOB filter to run along with the canister filter. Then it would have not problem with oxygen. It is a good idea to have two filters any way then if one fails you have the other to fall back on. I would recommend an Aquaclear. They are great filters and dont make much noise.

~Col~
01-25-2011, 09:30 AM
I use live plants and have two airstones running in my 4ft tank (same size as yours).

Because mine has glass lids and a hood I'm unable to use a HOB (water tumbles in like a waterfall).

The action of the airstones (bubbling up and breaking the water surface) is what provides the tank with oxygen. The air coming from the stones themselves would be quite stale when you think about it...