PDA

View Full Version : general question

Tracey T
01-24-2011, 05:27 PM
When goldfish are 'resting' (b/c they do not sleep) is it better for them to rest at the bottom of the tank, top or be somewhere in the middle? Or does it not matter?

Thanks

Xavier
01-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Observing my goldfish, it depends on context. When I was keeping my new fish in the QT tank, it rested on the bottom. That being said, there is nothing in the tank, it is a bare bare tank. It was bored and had nothing to do, nowhere to search for food and no algae to pick at. While in the main tank, it never sits on the bottom, nor do the other two.

They "rest" by hovering in the mid-aquarium, twitching a little in the dark. All three do this every night.

When my old lionhead was sick, he rested at the bottom. Resting at the bottom, if not caused by boredom, is a sign of stress or illness.

jessfish
01-24-2011, 09:03 PM
They "rest" by hovering in the mid-aquarium, twitching a little in the dark. All three do this every night. When my old lionhead was sick, he rested at the bottom. Resting at the bottom, if not caused by boredom, is a sign of stress or illness.

I would say I agree, I have a fantail, orandas, pearscale & ranchu & most of the time they rest in the middle/closer to the top than middle area of the tank.
with the exception of Michael my oranda who has had buoyancy problems since i got him in sept - he usually rests close to the top.
When i first got Michael he spent the first few days in the quarantine tank near the bottom - prob becasue of stress & just getting used to a new home

jaysee
01-24-2011, 09:35 PM
They find the place that's easiest to rest. If you change the tank around, they'll find a new place to rest. Mine like to rest in front of one of the intake strainers. They've found a spot where the current in the tank counter balances the suction of the intake.

Tracey T
01-25-2011, 04:29 AM
Thanks all for your replies. Just asking my fancy fan tail goldfish has been finding a new spot to rest....and it about 3/4 up toward the top of the tank...it moves fine, swimming and eating, but I did a water change earlier this week and I think I moved things slightly.....got a little scared wondering if I upset the apple cart. Good to know

funkman262
01-25-2011, 05:40 AM
Mine actually liked to rest towards the bottom, usually touching the sand. They would wake up energetically and kick the sand around as they begin swimming around.