PDA

View Full Version : how long can a pleco go without algae?

dccruibay5
01-24-2011, 03:07 AM
I am posting this one because I unfortunately lost my pleco, and I am trying to figure out what might have caused it. I recently upgraded my tank to a larger one...I cycled for a little over a week and also put some live plants in as well as some of the plants that were in my old tank and just a little bit of gravel in from the old tank as well to establish some bacteria. however, the only algae in there when I put the fish in was the algae that was on the plants that were in the old tank. I thought this might have been enough for the little bristlenose pleco i had, and I figured in another week there would be enough algae in there for him to eat. about 2 or 3 days after they were put in the tank, I tossed in an algae tablet that was supposedly specially formulated for plecos so he would have something to eat. However, I never saw him touch it.

the only other problem that I had with the poor little guy, was that his hiding place in his old tank (it was one of those cool rock things) broke when I accidentally dropped it as I was fixing the tanks, and he had no actual hiding place, though I made sure he could hide from view during the day behind some plants in the tank: made it so the other fish couldn't see or get at him.
on day 5 of him being in the tank without a hiding spot (I was not able to go beforehand) I went and got a hiding spot, which I figured he would go in as soon as I put it in the tank. He didn't however, and the next morning I wake up and he is dead. there were no wounds, no fin marks or anything of the sort to indicate that the other fish had bugged him, and I am afraid it was entirely my fault he didn't make it, because I put him into a brand new tank like that.

Wow, I have rambled on a lot...sorry about that
I am sad though, he was my favorite little guy.

Brhino
01-24-2011, 03:15 AM
A healthy fish will not starve to death in 5 days, so there's no way that could be the issue. Have you checked your water parameters in the new tank? From your description of what you did to set it up I would not be surprised to find its not cycled, and plecos are not good cycling fish.