PDA

View Full Version : Plants, new tank, piranha

levi.eubanks
01-24-2011, 02:58 AM
So I have a single red bellied piranha. He's about 2.5 yrs old, 4-5 inches long and currently in a 30g tank. He's a very aggressive fish, one of the most aggressive and picky ones i've heard of. Nothing but live food will even be considered (by him) for consumption and nothing coexists with him very long (i.e., snails, Crayfish, shrimp) and obviously feeders and worms.

SO I recently (yesterday) acquired a 55g (long) tank, have water running through it as of today and am going through my options. I think I would like to put my piranha in there and see if more hiding places and plant life would allow more species to coexist with him in the tank.

If i do that, I think lilies would be good to provide more shade for the large-pupiled fishy. Yeah? and some slate rocks for crays, and some thick plants for little fish, and some wood for the pH levels/more hiding. Sound good? I'm open for input.

THEN in my thirty how about a community breeding place for some guppies (as feeders/cool fish to learn breeding)??? Or for crays... IS it possible to do both? Let me know!
Like I said, I love my piranha and am very open to options!
OR if you think of something way cooler for the 55g and think the piranha should remane in the 30g... Whatever! Thanks!

PS suggestions to get him to try his veggies?

Strider199
01-24-2011, 02:39 PM
I was never able to keep live plants in with my school of Red bellied piranha's.
They whip into gear and everything but the rocks is washed up.
It sounds like a neat project you have planned there. Good luck.

skullduggery1
01-24-2011, 02:51 PM
put a divider in the tank,if you are worried about the fish killing tankmates.My noob sister about 5 years back had a gold pirahna and asked the same question,what can I try to put with it?Reply,"take this convict male." The fish lived together dancing in circles trying to play, and I use the term loosely.Try to get some marble crayfish,they are a project that colleges, life sciences departments have been breeding for some time now.The crayfish are all female and give birth without males.University of MIchigan was doing this project and you can find these crawdads on craigslist ,once and a while.

rageybug
02-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Your tank is too small and the piranha will eat the little fish and your crayfish.. slate or not.

Sandz
02-08-2011, 08:26 PM
RBP's are schooling fish as well. If you have a single you may look into 2-4 more tank mates. What kind of filtration do you have available and also the 55 is a bit small to up the #s.