PDA

View Full Version : Betta and Driftwood

fishn00b
01-24-2011, 02:34 AM
I got a cool piece of driftwood from my local pet store and it's lightly covered in some type of moss+algae. It has been about 48 hours in there and i noticed my betta hovering around it frequently, then darts in for a nibble of god knows what. Should I be worried he's eating something that could harm him? or are they smart enough to know.

Also looking for suggestions on a tank mate its 10g planted, thanks.

johndoe222
01-24-2011, 02:36 AM
They know what there doin when they eat off the wood. And in a 10g you could have about 12 dwarf cories.

fishn00b
01-24-2011, 02:41 AM
He is one of the more aggressive behaving betta's I have owned so i have been scared to really add any fish until this point.

Also, when I turn the lights off in the room with the fish tank light on he apparently sees his reflection and will be in "threat" display almost constantly. is this heightened stress level bad for him? Like, can he have a cardiac arrest? lol

kingkarter
01-24-2011, 05:17 AM
It's hard to say with bettas you might be able to keep him with othere fish you might not. You'll have to go with your gut feeling and hope it works. Allso you could try neon tetra's and oto's.

Ive never herd of one haveing cardiac arrest but guess it could be possible. But you will have to wait for some one with more experince. Ok so i cant spell it right lol. What is the right way to spell it?

fishn00b
01-25-2011, 12:38 AM
What is the right way to spell it?

Experience? lol

thanks. The only companion he has had until the point was a mystery snail. Which was either sick or already dead. Either way it was just kinda half in and half out of its shell....at which point my betta tore him completely out and obviously finished him off...this is what i mean when i say he is aggressive...

kingkarter
01-25-2011, 02:53 AM
Oh thats how you spell it lol:thankyouyellow:

Sound like hes a aggessive betta maby even alittle to aggressive to be have any othere tank mate's. Heres one thing you could if you get some fish for one of you othere tank's you could float there bag in his tank for acouple min and see what he does. That is if you have anothere tak

fishn00b
01-25-2011, 03:34 AM
I dont have another active tank =\

What about african dwarf frogs? I've heard they can peacefully coexist with a betta

rich311k
01-25-2011, 11:39 AM
It will all depend on the fish's personality. You can try things but you need to have a back up plan.

His picking at decorations etc is normal just looking for a tasty treat.