PDA

View Full Version : first CO2 system

mikekomm
01-23-2011, 07:01 PM
I just installed my first CO2 system on my 55 gallon freshwater tank. I have the regulator set to approx 1 bubble per second. I'm using a Red Sea Reactor 500. It seems that my CO2 bubbles are not being dispersed and circulated through the tank like other CO2 systems that I've seen. I have the Reactor set to the lowest setting per the instructions. I see some small bubbles rising from the Reactor and a "cloud" of bubbles at the water surface directly above the Reactor but other systems that I've seen have micro bubbles throughout the entire tank..... any thoughts?

rich311k
01-23-2011, 09:10 PM
Watch the fish and the plants and see how things go. The plants should start growing and the fish should be unaffected.

smaug
01-23-2011, 09:53 PM
I have been told the red sea reactor leaves alot to be desired.The proof of function is in efficiency though.Get a co2 tester and see just how much co2 concentration you have in the water and adjust from there.

Plant Man
01-23-2011, 10:09 PM
I have been told the red sea reactor leaves alot to be desired.The proof of function is in efficiency though.Get a co2 tester and see just how much co2 concentration you have in the water and adjust from there.

Yes smaug you are very right, a Drop Checker will serve him well.

Mikekomm, just make sure you use a 4dkh solution in conjunction with the PH drops not tank water as the base solution. I have a 46 bowfront moderate surface disturbance and the tank needs 5bps to get the drop checker yellow/green using a very efficient/large reactor. I feel safe in saying you can up it to at least 4bps. But the only way to know for sure is with a drop checker and through your fish/plants reaction to you turning it up. 1 bps is definitely not near enough though.