PDA

View Full Version : New turquoise fry

Lady Hobbs
01-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Got about 50 swimmers now that have made it their first week. Rainbows are the tiniest fry ever! Sorry but my camera will not take photos of fish this small.

I didn't get any infusoria going so been feeding a bit of egg yolk/water mixture and yesterday began feeding First Bites one feeding and powder flakes the next. (Can't tell which is finer as they appear about the same.) I can see food in their bellies so guess they're doing OK.

Hopefully can get them started on brine shrimp before long.

CassieLEO
01-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Congrats on your babies Lady Hobbs!!!! Cant wait to see some pictures of what they look like!!!

Cliff
01-23-2011, 12:40 PM
Congrats on the fry Lady Hobbs

I'd love to see some pics when they are big enough for your camera

Lady Hobbs
01-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Thanks.

Rainbows don't have a few fry. They have oodles of them. And that leads me to a bit of an interesting story from a couple years ago.

I had a big batch of Australian Splendia's. (And don't like them!) Must have had 100 of them or so and shipped some off to a friend in Kentucky along with a couple dozen Firemouth fry. Sent them USPS and he waited and waited for his shipment and we never heard a thing. On the 21st day I get a post card from the postal service that the fish were in the warehouse 1 hour from me.

I was going to tell them to just toss the box in their dumpster but remembered I had put some cash in one of the two boxes so drove there so at least I wouldn't be out the cash, too.

I get the boxes back home and every one of the rainbows were still living and maybe 6-7 of the Firemouths. The Firemouths were swimming in the bags with their dead buddies that were now rotted away into gobs of slim. I will never figure out how any of them made it.

Appears they had stacked one box upside down on top of the other. The top one leaked which also got some water on the second box so they decided to not ship either one but then also decided, in all their wisdom, they would not bother to let me know for 3 weeks. Of course I was ticked off, raising a bit of a ruckus, asked for the manager and all that nonsense but knowing those fish had been like that for 3 weeks really irked me.

They were shipped in "breather" bags which says a lot of how great those bags work.

Cliff
01-23-2011, 01:14 PM
Wow, three weeks later and not all of them had pasted away. That's amazing.

I would have hated to be the USPS manager on the other end of that conversation :ssuprised:

CassieLEO
01-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Holy Moly!!! That is crazy!! They are very resilient huh??? I would have raised holy hell myself if they was me. I cant believe how they just left the boxes there for that long without telling anyone!!!! Your fishies must have been so healthy and well fed before that whole ordeal. I guess that goes to show you how resilient they are!!!

Lady Hobbs
01-23-2011, 01:19 PM
I'm sure she was..... as well as all the customers standing behind me! The boxes were labeled "Live Fish" and their total disregard of something that was living was uncalled for.

CassieLEO
01-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Totally uncalled for!! Do you use them still to ship fish or did you change over to UPS or Fedex?

Lady Hobbs
01-23-2011, 01:48 PM
Haven't shipped any for probably a year but will just chalk that one up to a bad experience and keep using them because I get fish shipped from them decently and shipped other times without all that mess. If it happens again, I will switch to Fed Ex.

But it was a strange experience even from the beginning when I took them to the PO here. The lady that ran the post office says to me "oh, we don't ship live fish". I'm like, huh? You've been delivering them to me for 8 years.

This woman was about to retire and worked at the post office for 30 years. They haul in baby chicks for the farmers every spring. I assume they only order live chicks. LOL

And news of the postal service taken from the web:

That brings the year's losses so far to $4.7 billion. And the Postal Service expects to be $7 billion in the red when the fiscal year ends on Sept. 30.

Sorry for terrible quality. Best I could do for a pic.

dragoonwoman
01-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Crikey, if that's moss in the foreground, you sure weren't kidding about the size of the fry!

That's absolutely amazing about the fish-in-a-box for 3 weeks. The Kordon bags literally were life savers for those fish. Have you considered writing to the manufacturer and letting them know? I'm sure they'd like to hear just how well their product performed under those conditions!

Granted it's a testament to the hardiness of the fish as well. I sure wouldn't want to be wrapped in plastic, packed round with padding, sealed up with tape and left to HOPE I make it to my destination alive! :roulette:

rich311k
01-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Congrats, I hope they do well for you.

CassieLEO
01-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Awwwwwwww BABIES!!!!! They are so SMALL!!!!!!

Rue
01-23-2011, 04:26 PM
Congrats on the fry1

Thanks.

I had a big batch of Australian Splendia's. (And don't like them!) Must have had 100 of them or so and shipped some off to a friend in Kentucky along with a couple dozen Firemouth fry. Sent them USPS and he waited and waited for his shipment and we never heard a thing. On the 21st day I get a post card from the postal service that the fish were in the warehouse 1 hour from me.
I get the boxes back home and every one of the rainbows were still living and maybe 6-7 of the Firemouths. The Firemouths were swimming in the bags with their dead buddies that were now rotted away into gobs of slim. I will never figure out how any of them made it.

I am gob-smacked! That's amazing!