PDA

View Full Version : Brackish beginner

Micahbear
01-23-2011, 01:35 AM
So I have been peaked by the thought of having a brackish tank, perhaps even a paludarium with some fiddlers, red claws or mudskippers. I've been reading some about various fish and their needs, but could I maybe get tips, such as things on salinity testing, upkeep and space?

My only other question is about figure eight puffers... I keep reading that they're a strictly freshwater puffer, and also that they are brackish. I know brackish fish can survive in freshwater fine, look at mollies- just with a shortened life span. I do not want that. Which is it?

smaug
01-23-2011, 02:12 AM
Fig 8s require brack water to reach there full life span.

jonny5
02-19-2011, 04:37 AM
eh some people swear they are brackish, some freshwater. Fishbase lists them as freshwater and they are collected in the wild from both fresh and brackish.

regardless, it is noted among many aquarists taht figure 8's do live longer and are less prone to disease in mild brackish. You really would not want to bring them over 1.010sg, 1.003-.1005sg is fine.

KatzeSlaugen
02-19-2011, 04:44 AM
they can live in freshwater, but live better in brackish. IMO mollies are FW, they can live in brackish, and ive even heard of mollies living in full SW. but just because they can tolerate salt in the water i wouldn't categorize them as brackish

fig 8s def do better in brackish water as they mature (from what ive read about them)

JohnnyRaggs
03-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Yes, figure 8's are a brackish fish, they can live in freshwater, but its not recomended. However, that being said, don't get any if you have crabs. The puffers will try to eat the crabs constantly. I made this mistake once with my brackish tank. I added a aquatic crab to my tank thinking "wow, thats neat" and didn't do any reading up before hand. Almost right away my puffers starting picking on the crab trying to figure out the best way to eat him. I eventually had to pull the crab out and bring him back to the fish store (with two less legs).