PDA

View Full Version : Problem decor?

Cassandra
01-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Im getting ready to setup my new 60g fw tank and have a question. My husband loves dragons, so I agreed to put a couple of these in the tank...

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752280

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752278&keepsr=0&clickid=prod_cs

problem is my hubby looked at the reviews for these and after a while customers are complaining that they'll wake up one day and the whole tank is green, and it's really difficult to get out. Has anyone on here had this problem? What do you guys think could be causing this? Coating on the decoration? Something leeching out of it? Is there any way to avoid this problem, such as soaking the ornaments for a couple weeks? Or have you guys seen anything like this somewhere else that I can buy instead?

Brhino
01-19-2011, 11:05 PM
I don't see how an aquarium ornament could lead to a green water outbreak. Seems to me people are giving their plants too much light (standard reason for green water), then blaming the ornament.

Cassandra
01-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Im hoping thats whats doing it because we LOVE these and it would be a shame to put them in the tank and then have a problem. It just worries me because it seems like a lot of people that have these are having the same problem...coincidence maybe?

If it was you would you put em in your tank?

Brhino
01-19-2011, 11:23 PM
I read some of the reviews that talk about the green water... they don't really strike me as being written by people that know enough about fish keeping to really determine where the green water is coming from. I wouldn't worry too much about the reviews. I can't say with 100% certainty that it won't happen, it just seems really unlikely. Green water = excess light, not trace amounts of something that could hypothetically leech out of a decoration.

gm72
01-19-2011, 11:32 PM
Here's my guess. The people who wrote those reviews started up new tanks with too much light and put the dragons in. They had an algae bloom and blamed the decor.

Cassandra
01-19-2011, 11:42 PM
I was kinda thinking the same way. Thanks for the advice as always :)