PDA

View Full Version : buying plants online or in stores

Low
01-19-2011, 04:50 PM
i am still new to aquascapen but not to the fish world.
i have looked online for plants and there only like a dollar or 2 cheaper then at my local pet store (pet supples plus) and well im kinda torn here i can buy online and not see how good the plant looks and risk it plus to make it worth my wild id have to by alot to make up for shipping cuz if i buy 1 plant with shippen at 7$ then itd be cheaper to go to my pet store and some of the plants online it doesnt say how much i get for my money so idk if im getting a deal or jus less plants for less money.
the prob i have with my pet store is when i order stuff it takes 2 weeks to get and some of it isent the greatest and sometimes what i want they cant get for me because there supplyers out so does any 1 no any good sites to get plants from.
they need to be cheaper then most pet stores are. or do you have any websites i should stay away from? its all so confusen :sconfused:
please help
~^~Low~^~

CassieLEO
01-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Sometimes on the classified sections here you can find some people who will give away cuttings. You can also look on craigslist or Ebay. Other than that, ive never ordered online so I cant help you, but yoiu can find some deals out there.

Low
01-19-2011, 05:41 PM
thanks. i tryed ebay but they seemed higher priced then any other sites but ill check the classified here

Bearitone
01-19-2011, 06:31 PM
I have ordered plants online.

In the end I would say it comes down to quality. My LFS is an amazing store, but their plants are lackluster. They are generally brown and have lots of die off from shipping because of the high turn over. The problem is they are expensive, plants at $8 vs $2 online. When filling a large tank that adds up quickly.

If the quality was good and they were in the store long enough for new growth to start so I can be assured it is a healthy specimen then I would not mind paying a few dollars extra.

The ones I ordered online were very much "you get what you pay for". They came in fairly weak condition, most likely from shipping, and took quite a while to perk up.

Lady Hobbs
01-19-2011, 06:39 PM
I have never bought a plant in a store. I buy from AquaBid, the classifieds ads right here or from mikeswetpets.com on ebay.

DrNic
01-19-2011, 07:15 PM
I buy almost all my plants online. They tend to be better quality and most people will add extras in which is fun. Check out some of the planted aquarium specific forums. They are usually full of people selling extra plants. Don't be afraid to buy online unless you think you're going to get a really good deal at your local shop.

Low
01-19-2011, 07:18 PM
ok i am trying the classifieds right now.
but thanks for ur info cuz i dont want to buy online and get horrible lookin plants