PDA

View Full Version : New filter making noise

SkarloeysMom
07-04-2007, 12:07 AM
OK, I got the new AquaClear 50 today and its kinda noisy. I tried taking it apart and checking the impeler function and it works fine. I made sure that the unit was level in both directions. I can't figure out why its has such grindy sound to the motor. When I take the cover off the unit the noise is reduced but I can't run it without a cover, right?

Do new filters have a noisy break in period and then quiet down? I think I remember reading something like that but for those who have purchased new AC filters do you remember them being noisy at first?

Rue
07-04-2007, 12:10 AM
Give it a bit of time to get going...if it still makes noise, or if the motor overheats, go exchange it...

You can run it with the lid off, I have...but I prefer the lid on, less change of mess...

tropfish
07-04-2007, 12:15 AM
make sure the intake tube fits flushly into the filter body, if it get put in the wrong way the impeller will hit the side. I'd double check that just to be sure.

SkarloeysMom
07-04-2007, 12:33 AM
I took it apart and check the intake tube fit. It seemed fine. I'll just give it a couple days to break in I guess and see if it quiets down.

cocoa_pleco
07-04-2007, 12:56 AM
could be just getting air out. my hydor canister always needed 36 hours to settle down and get the air out

A340
07-04-2007, 08:28 AM
I've had the same thing on my AC's. One of them, I just wiggled the intake valvel abit and the other one took a day or two to get running properly, but after that you can barely hear it.

SkarloeysMom
07-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Well it seems to be running a little more quietly now but maybe I'm just getting used to it. My DH suggested that maybe its loud because its so close to the wall. I guess next time I do a PWC I'll get him to move the dresser its sitting on out from the wall just a hair. Maybe that will help. We'll see.

Oh and something I guess makes sense but I didn't think about it happening - It seems like my nitrates are going down! Its been over a week since i did a PWC and the nitrates are still around 10. With the tank fully stocked it would usually be time for a water change already but its still fine. Also, I was worried that since the filter was so new that I should give it some time to collect some bacteria before I do a PWC. I'll just keep checking to see when nitrates get up to 20.

RobbieG
07-07-2007, 02:15 AM
You should check your ammonia and nitrites to be sure that you are not having a "mini cycle"

You may have no nitrates because there are no bacteria making them.

SkarloeysMom
07-07-2007, 03:10 AM
Its been 4 days since I started up the new filter and I just checked the ammonia and nitrites and they are both 0. I guess I do have enough bacteria in the gravel and on the plants and stuff to prevent a mini-cycle. There are nitrates they just aren't going up as fast as I figured they would since my tank is fully stocked now. I assume that is because the filtration is so much better.

SkarloeysMom
07-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Well its FINALLY quiet! I just noticed last night that it is practically silent now. I wonder if its because I ordered it online and when I got it all the parts where just loose inside the filter. They must have bounce around quite a bit on the way from Cali to Texas in the UPS truck. Well whatever, its working perfectly now after 2.5 weeks.

gm72
07-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Still very strange for an AC filter. When you say the parts were loose in the filter, do you mean just the intake tubes? If you had other parts in there, something was wrong. Still, very glad that you are enjoying your new filter. AC HOBs are the way to go.