PDA

View Full Version : Advice On Plants For My Tank

carlnewboult
01-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Hi All,

Just wanted to say thank you in advance as this play has stopped me from making some silly mistakes.

I have a 50 litre hexagonal tank that i was given unfortunatly it is quite tall so this does mean low light level. I only have one thing which has to go in and that is a roman collosium type thing that the wife loves (anything to stop the moaning)

I was thinking of having Java moss on the floor and maybe a tropica but after that i am pretty clueless. Ideally i would lke to have 2 tallish plants and then have them scale down to effectivly have a triangle type shape (hope that makes sense)

The base of the fish tank is gravel and it has a mixture of 4 neon and 4 green neon fish together with 2 catfish.

Any help or advice would be appreciated so i don't spend too much.

MCHRKiller
01-19-2011, 04:58 PM
For a tank this shape with what I assume is standard tank lighting you honestly are limited to moss, fern and anubias until you upgrade your lighting. There are quite a few tall anubias such as lanceolata, congensis, and frazeri to name a few. So you could definitely have a nice scape using nothing but these plants.

DrNic
01-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Java moss on the floor would work. Java ferns would also probably do well enough. In a tank that tall you can have problems with smaller plants. However if you can find already tall plants you might be ok. Something along the lines of a tall crypt, or large vals might do well assuming they don't melt during the transition into the tank.

My mom had a 45G hex for a while. The only plants I could get to stay alive were Java ferns though. It's just really hard to get light down that deep when you don't have much horizontal room on the surface. If you're willing to try it I have seen people use other lights outside the tank that shine in at the bottom to help plants in taller tanks like this. Just be careful not to over do it or you will end up with a lot of algae.

CassieLEO
01-19-2011, 11:35 PM
Listen, I have a 55 gallon that is filled to the BRIM with those plants that grow from the bulbs that you buy in a pack at walmart or petco. They are healthy, big and actually quite nice. They constantly put out runners, so I am able to plant those. If you buy them, and you get one or two that dont sprout, they honor what they say and will send back more than you send to them. Just a thought.