PDA

View Full Version : Carpet Plant Question

Gumshoe218
01-18-2011, 09:38 PM
I recently experimented with narrow leaf chain sword in my 20 gallon tank. Without any difficulty it grew in very nicely and covered about 40% of my tank floor. It looked great, but as a result it made cleaning the gravel very difficult along with the other plants in the tank. I have now pulled all of the narrow leaf sword out of the tank and did a thorough cleaning. This was desperately needed.

While I am not tempted to try it again in the near future, I am curious about it. I see all these pictures of beautiful tanks with plants that carpet the tank, that I'm sure are meticulously cared for, but want to know how people stop the buildup of debris and waste if they really can't get down into the substrate to clean it. I had five cories in the tanks that I had hoped would be able to handle the maintenance, but they ended up with damaged barbels as a result of the debris.

Thanks.

CassieLEO
01-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Heres where my trusty turkey baster comes in handy. I blow some water gently into whatever needs cleaning, and the gunk shoots out and you can either A. Suck it up with the turkey baster, or blow it with the baster towards the filter (if your going to be doing a filter clean-out in the not so distant future) I do this to move sand around, to suck up uneaten food, etc. The baster is by far the biggest helper I have!!

smaug
01-18-2011, 10:30 PM
If that patch of gravel has plants on it then that said patch of gravel needs not be vacumed.To get some of the junk out of it you can gently probe in and around carpet plants with the nozzle of the vac.

Gumshoe218
01-19-2011, 02:13 AM
Thanks guys! I appreciate your opinions.

Plant Man
01-19-2011, 02:36 AM
Any fish poop and uneaten food that falls into the substrate where the plants are is simply fertilizer for those plants and should not be taken out.

octoxpuss
01-19-2011, 02:43 AM
How many watts per gallon do you have? I am just wondering btw.