PDA

View Full Version : Frozen spinach for shrimp?

Lady Hobbs
01-16-2011, 08:42 PM
I was reading last night that breaking off a chunk of frozen spinach is much liked by shrimp a few times a week? Anyone heard of that? You probably have but I didn't know that so just passing on the hint.

rich311k
01-16-2011, 10:13 PM
They will eat fresh so i do not see why they would not eat frozen.

Lady Hobbs
01-16-2011, 10:44 PM
hummmm....never thought of that! I was just repeating what I read in Arizona Gardens. Goes to show, huh? Thanks handsome.

toddnbecka
01-17-2011, 07:05 AM
IME shrimp (at least the cherry shrimp I had) really went for dead leaves. I'd drop a couple good-size water lily leaves from the backyard pond into a 10 gallon tank full of them, and there would be nothing left in less than 24 hours. Same way with whatever leaves happened to drop off the trees and land in the water, the shrimp and ramshorn snails would swarm all over them until they were gone.

Lady Hobbs
01-17-2011, 07:30 AM
I wonder if the suggestion of using the frozen spinach works much the same way. The frozen spinach is mushy and shredded. Since it's mushy, perhaps just easier for shrimp to eat? Not sure why else they would give that to their shrimp in lieu of fresh.

dragoonwoman
03-03-2011, 01:20 PM
The freezing process breaks the cell walls inside the spinach leaf, which is similar to what happens when fresh spinach is nuked for a few seconds or dunked into boiling water.

Thanks for the tip. I will try it with my new shrimp! It's much easier for me to keep frozen veggies on hand, versus fresh.

wijnands
03-18-2011, 10:59 AM
I don't like frozen spinach all that much. It's tricky to dose properly and it gets everywhere.
A little piece of blached cucumber or courgette is just as welcome and much easier to remove after 24 hours.

These shrimps are scavengers and will eat absolutely everything that is a bit mushy.