PDA

View Full Version : crawfish gender

rod.stumpf
01-16-2011, 01:04 AM
:spam: Hi.
I'm new to this group.
I got a hair about crawfish and have bought several big ones.
By acciendent have breeded a few who have grown up and lost a few because while they tryed to molt, got ate.

Mostly I need direction on tell with pictures how to tell a FEMALE.

My fry all lived but a "pearling" one some how lost her eggs even though she
had a nice self built hiding place.
Should I use one of those glass dividers in the tank to seperate her from the
others.

Rod
Glad to be here.and hope for some replies.

jaysee
01-16-2011, 08:45 PM
Welcome to the forum!

Crayfish will prey on each other, so it really isn't ideal to have more than 1 per 30 gallons. Obviously if you are okay with them eating each other that's not a problem.

Females have what looks like a couple of craters - one on each side, inbetween the 2nd and 3rd set of legs. Or it's the 3rd and 4th. In either case, those little dimples are where the male inserts his parts. Males have a small extension on each side, again underneath between the 2nd and 3rd set of legs.

rod.stumpf
01-23-2011, 12:18 AM
since my frist thread I found that I'm a proud father of at least 5 frys.
Another one will peral shortly....(because I caught them at it RIGHT IN FRONT of the tank) They have NO shame.

By the way.....why is there a "no spam face on my first thread and how do I get rid of it?

Cyberra
01-23-2011, 01:01 AM
since my frist thread I found that I'm a proud father of at least 5 frys.
Another one will peral shortly....(because I caught them at it RIGHT IN FRONT of the tank) They have NO shame.

By the way.....why is there a "no spam face on my first thread and how do I get rid of it?

XD Nope, no shame at all

It's too late to edit your first post, so unfortunately you're stuck with the emote.