PDA

View Full Version : securing an aquarium to a wall?

Cassandra
01-15-2011, 12:19 AM
You guys have been great giving me advice on another thread I started, so heres another...

How do you secure an aquarium to a wall? maybe a stupid question, but a necessary one. I have small children and dont want to have a horrible accident...

KingFisher
01-15-2011, 12:25 AM
You need to secure the stand to the wall, not the actual tank. They sell brackets for that purpose, they need to be screwed into a stud in the wall.

It's the same brackets they use for dressers and cabinets.

Brhino
01-15-2011, 12:29 AM
You had your eyes on a 50 gallon aquarium? It's going to weigh about 500 pounds all figured. It would take a tremendous amount of force to tip it over... I don't see it happening. They could break the glass by running something hard into it, but that's a different story.

Nevertheless, if you're really paranoid, here's what I would do:

Hopefully at the back of the stand there's some 2x4s or other real solid pieces of wood. I would drive some long screws through that wood into the studs in your wall (you'd need a studfinder to locate them). If there's a gap between the back of the stand and the wall, you'd want to fill it with a piece of wood, too. If you can't line up the studs in your stand with the studs in your wall, you could use a drywall anchor instead. Either way, that would add a few hundred pounds of horizontal force resisting tipping in addition to the vertical weight of the aquarium. That would prevent the stand from tipping, not the aquarium itself, but it would make it even less likely that the aquarium could tip.

Cassandra
01-15-2011, 12:46 AM
yeah I would imagine it would be pretty hard for a small child to tip a tank that heavy, thats why Im steering clear of small tanks, but I am not taking any chances, so thank you for the info :)

korith
01-15-2011, 04:00 AM
Have 2 aquariums that are on tall stands at 40" and 44". So they are a bit top heavy, I was worried about them tipping. I have friends that come over, and some have kids. I bought some L brackets and screwed the stand to the wall. Fairly cheap fix, just a few dollars for the brackets and a few screws.

Cassandra
01-20-2011, 11:57 PM
Yeah my stand is 30 inches tall and the tank is another 25 inches to the top of the tank just below the hoods. Its a fairly tall tank, not to mention it isnt very deep front to back--only 12 inches--so it is pretty scary looking. Actually its downright scary to me lol. I think Im going to go ahead and just use the L-bracket method to be on the safe side. Thanks all!